They insist they need the lung biopsy

I still don't have a good reason why they need the biopsy of the lung. Naturally they have the liver biopsy as this is the same place that the cyberknife of the liver was done. I still had the foresight to to remind them that they already have a biopsy. According to the nurse they won't do the cyberknife without the biopsy of the actual site. What do they think is in there, a peanut? Anyway, cyberknife calls the shots as they are a stand alone facility unaffiliated with any hospital. Jeffrey wants to do this so I booked it but will continue calling to get a sound reason..personally, I think it is something that has nothing to do with Jeffrey's cancer but more to do with statistics and marketing. In other words, in case he lives they can prove it actually was cancer and they had this role in his recovery..I'm a skeptic but usually not too far off the mark. I will keep you updated. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Trish

Hi Trish,

I love your advocacy and determination. Much admiration from me. Keep on, keepin on. I'm in your corner and want you in mine. Thank you, Thank. You too Kasey... What a team, look out docs, the dynamic trio.

Who needs the biopsy? Jeffery has had great success with the RFA. I also was considering it before I had any treatment since it was inoperable in the lung...

(17cm)

Karen

I still don't have a good reason why they need the biopsy of the lung. Naturally they have the liver biopsy as this is the same place that the cyberknife of the liver was done. I still had the foresight to to remind them that they already have a biopsy. According to the nurse they won't do the cyberknife without the biopsy of the actual site. What do they think is in there, a peanut? Anyway, cyberknife calls the shots as they are a stand alone facility unaffiliated with any hospital. Jeffrey wants to do this so I booked it but will continue calling to get a sound reason..personally, I think it is something that has nothing to do with Jeffrey's cancer but more to do with statistics and marketing. In other words, in case he lives they can prove it actually was cancer and they had this role in his recovery..I'm a skeptic but usually not too far off the mark. I will keep you updated. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Trish

Trish :

No surprise to me.This is typical behavior. I don't like dealing with the Cyberknife facility that my wife has utilized for similar reasons. Everything has to be done at their facility just as they prescribe. But, they are calling the shots so it's accept it or take a hike. I might add that my wife has had countless x-rays, MRIs, CTs, PET, PET / CT, you name it and the only billing problem that we have ever had with imaging reimbursement has been MRI billings from the Cyberknife facility. Way overbilled compared to the community norm. And, they are the only ones that charge for a set of films for the doc. $5 / sheet for MRIs. I manage to get the fee waived but only after some heavy complaining. Even the parking lot rate is outrageous. $1.50 per 15 minutes ( maybe because of the ocean view ! )

Dear Bill, Not long ago I asked one of Jeff's doctors why the hospital didn't have cyberknife facility of its own and cut out the "middleman" so to speak. He smiled wryly and told me that Cyberknife Inc. has a 10 year non-compete clause wherever they set up shop. In the meantime I guess they can do whatever the heck they feel like doing. Well, whatever, I'm happy they're there. Jeffrey's results on his liver tumor were outstanding and the bill must have been paid in a timely fashion or they wouldn't be inviting us to this party, right?

Trish

Well I just spoke to the Doctor and he said that it is mandatory at all Cyberknife facilites to have an actual tissue sample of the site that they are working on. You know what that means...it's policy. So I guess we have the biopsy but I let them know that I was not happy or satisfied and we were only going ahead because Jeffrey has his heart set on it.

Trish

Hi Trish,

Did they say why it is mandatory? Can't they just use the path slides from the hospital where Jeff was dx.. Maybe they want to check and see if the cells are less active or reduced in quantity. Maybe they won't need to be as agressive. I don't know. These are just my questions. Wishing Jeff a succesful treatment. Always in my prayers...Please keep us posted.

Regards and hugs,

Karen

Trish, I wonder if this is a new policy. We went to the CK facility in Miama right about a year ago for Ken's liver tumor. They were all set to do it looking at his scans from Moffitt. They never mentioned a biopsy, said we could get started the next week. They were actually rather annoyed when I told them he was going to have a liver resection instead. I wish now we had done the CK, I almost wonder if the liver surgery did not help the spread in his liver since he all of a sudden had mutltiple tumors show up just 2 months after his surgery.

Well, it may be a new policy or it may have always been in place. When we had the liver tumor done we already had a liver biopsy from the original diagnosis so it never came up in conversation. According to the doctor, Cyberknife must have a biopsy from the tumor they are working on...period and the end. Now my question is (and this is remote)What if it no longer tests positive for NSCLC? Will they just leave it there? If they are going to cyberknife whatever is left anyway then why do they need a pathology? Ah well. We're doin' it :roll:

I 'spose I should stop thinking

Trish