good to be back

Hi everyone..... I returned last night from florida..... We've been gone about 2 weeks.... I have got so much catching up to do... I started to read the posts that I have missed since I've been gone...Thought I would catch you up on the latest over here.... We left about 2 weeks ago to take my dad to his winter home in fla.... The trip started off pretty good, we made it there safely and dad slept pretty much the whole ride there..... About a week ago his breathing seemed to be getting worse.... ( he has radiation pneumonitis) He couldnt eat because it was to hard to try and breath and eat at the same time and his feet were getting very puffy. As a matter of fact Debaroo(if your reading this) it sounds just like your story. His doctors over here were weaning him off his steroids, thats when it all seemed to get worse... We took him to emergency and they put him on a steroid IV.... The breathing has gotten a little better....... After reading debaroos story I called my mom to make sure they have ruled out blood clots. There is some good news to all of this... I was never too comfortable with his doctors here so i was looking forward to meeting his new team of docs....... I feel real good about them, better than I have felt in a while..... They gave us the"statistics" however they also gave us hope....... More good news(I think) since dad has been in the hospital his mri and cat scan are cancer free...... just waing for him to get a pet scan..... I t sure is rough being so far from them, we are only a mile and half awaay when they're in Mi...... sorry so long.....missed you guys .....cathy

Cathy, I think its great that your dads new doctors are more positive. You've been missed. My dad is now off the steroids and his breathing is improving, he's gained alot of weight on them, real puffy from the neck up. Let us know about the blood clot thing, if your dad-like mine-has been resting alot and not moving around alot, that is when the blood clots develop. The warm Florida weather 8) will be good for him and also its is GREAT NEWS ABOUT THE MRI AND CAT SCANS!!!! Keep us posted, Deb

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back. Deb also good to have you back. I talked to my mom today, dad was released from the hospital and he didnt have any blood clots, his legs havent swelled again. Its still very hard for him to breath now he is on oxygen and still on his steroids. The weird thing is he hasnt gained any weight from them, maybe now that he is home mom can cook him some of her wonderful Italian food and fatten him up a bit. I forgot to mention he now has pnomonia and fluid around his lungs whatever that is suppose to mean. I know the radiation pneumonitis has really set him back. Thanks for asking.....cathy