Questions re: treatment plan.

tammy_

Dad was admitted to the hospital and after testing the doctor said that they couldn't cure his cancer. The tumour is too big and it had spread to some lymph nodes. He said that nothing else would make the lymph nodes look like they did in the ct scan. So it's been set up for Dad to get 5 days of radiation next week to try and shrink the main tumor and then the following Monday we'll talk to a medical onc. But the doc said that chemo would be unlikely as it only really helped with limited sclc. That's different from what I've read on the boards here and I'm confused.

5 days of radiation seems pretty little. Will that be enough to shrink the tumor? Shouldn't we be trying some chemo as well? I'm giving dad essiac tea, sang hwang mushroom tea, and ginseng. Should I mention this to his doctors?

Thank you, Tammy

Please tell The Doctors what you are doing. Interactions can be deadly with drugs and complementative/alternative therapies. ask about Chemotherapy tretment plans. ask what else they can do for treatment. Demand answers to all your questions. DEbs Onc. knew everything including Multi-vitamins and ellagic aid.

You profile says your dad has squamous cell which should respond to chemo. I am confused about the treatment plan--most members here have had chemo and radiation. Good luck--keep researching. Is a second opinion possible where you are?

Hi Tammy,

If I were you the first thing I would do would be to seek out another opinion. As you've read here, many, many of us with NSCLC are treated with chemo with great success. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's considered standard protocol with one type of chemo or another, depending on stage, etc.

Hope we can make a difference and best wishes to you and your dad.

Joan

Hi Tammy - sorry you're having to go through this with your dad. I have Stage III SCLC and was treated with 35 radiation sessions and enough chemo to fill a bathtub. I'm surely no expert, but 5 radiation sessions seems awfully small. Maybe a second opinion is in order. Good luck and be strong.

Trish

I agree with everyone here, please seek out a 2nd opinion. So many people have done that and were put on different treatments that worked.

I really do not like the, can't do anything now. There is always hope somewhere, you just have to seek it out.

Good luck, and keep us posted on his progress.

Maryanne

I had chemo and daily radiation for weeks to shrink the tumor and make it operable. When they went in and did they surgery I asked about it and they said it was just scar tissue, all dead! Donna G

I'm totally confused also. My oncologist told me that the treatment protocol for NSCLC (squamous or adenocarinoma) is basically the same.

Definately get a second opinion. Heck, I got a third and a fourth. Gave me more faith and trust in my doctor.

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

Tammy,

I did reply to you on your first post and mentioned some thoughts about the medical system. Going along with that post and with what you have said on this post, I would certainly seek another medical opinion. I have been a member of this board for a couple of years now and have never heard of someone going through 5 radiation sessions. Something just doesn't sound right to me. Are you with your Dad now or are you overseas? It is awfully hard to deal with this if you're far away. Does your Dad have someone around to help him at doctor's appts. and to negotiate the medical system. That's important but I well understand the difficulties of living thousands of miles apart.

I will keep your Dad in my prayers.

gail p-m

Hi Tammy,

I agree with everyone else to at least seek another opinion and to let them know about anything else your Dad is taking. I am quite puzzled at how they are treating this. My diagnoses was far worse before I had a PET Scan, which showed much less cancer than the CT Scan did. I didn't see where your Dad had a PET Scan. I do think some other opinions are definetly in order. Good luck and take care, Patty

dear tammy, I am 73 y/o female with dx nsclc with poorly differentiated squamous cell cancer. My pulmonologist referred me to oncologist who sent me to thoracic surgeon for RFA, radiofrequency ablation, direct radiation into tumor. All my staging exams showed tumor probably stage I, but a PET scan just prior to RFA showed mets to lymphnode.

When the mets was found my diagnosis jumped up to 3B

and the question was should I have radiation (RFA) or chemo. The radiation would only treat the Primary (which was the lung cancer in left lobe) but would not effect the mets. The oncologist felt that the lymphnode should be treated first, because that is the way that cancer spreads to the bones and brain, then if necessary, radiation could be done later.

I am on the second round of chemo: carbo/gemzar. I feel great, as this combo is well tolerated (says my onc)but it has knocked the heck out of my blood cells: low white count, low platelets, etc. The blood abnormalities are treated with Procrit, Neupagen and leukine (4 shots starts tomorrow).

I would definitely tell doc what herbal/alternative stuff your dad is taking. My friends are distributors for Xango, seaweed stuff, etc. and want me to try it so badly. At first I figured, well, it cant hurt, but as I see what the chemo has done to my blood, I have to refuse them. The chemo treatments are so controlled and fragile that I don't want to do anything to upset whatever balance is going on.

Good luck to your dad. I would question your onc about why he was going to radiation first, what effects would it have on chemo, if chemo done first what effect would it have on radiation. Hey, you're not expected to know these things so you have to ask.

Gail, I'm with my Dad now but will have to go back to Korea in a few weeks. I'm really worried about what's going to happen here while I'm gone. Mom's here too but I'm worried that both Mom and Dad are ready to give up while I still want to fight this thing. And if I'm not here I'm afraid that won't happen...

Thank you, Tammy