Port-a-Cath question

luluc

Hi

I have to have mine flushed every 4 to 6 weeks if I've had not used it. Funny thing is I've had to use it for some kind of reason or another since I stopped chemo. I.E., blood draws, contrast injection for my ct and bone scans, etc.

Hope this helps.

Sue M

Thank you all for the information about the maintenance of the port-a-cath

Unfortunately not all doctors have informed their patients that this needs to be done. The flushing process has never been mentioned,since the chemo was stopped several months ago. I have read that this is standard procedure on the internet.

Thank you all for the information. Wish we would have know,since it is clogged now.

Oh my luc, the danger of infection and flushing should have been explained to your brother. I can't believe no one has asked him at his appointments when he was last flushed. You have to be careful that you don't swim etc due to the risk of infection. I know a woman whose young son has a terrible infection from his port (he has leukemia) because he went swimming.