update

myrnalu

Hi Mymalu,

This sounds like good news - shrinkage of 50 percent is great. Seems like their aim is to shrink as much as possible and then take out what remains. Sounds like they have a good plan. Surgery is always difficult but you're young so that's on your side, too. Keep us posted on how the chemo goes.

Joanie

I know it sounds odd to say surgery is a great thing, but in this case, it is true. It isn't an option for my mom for a variety of reasons. You can whip this thing with surgery (fingers crossed!). You can search through and find MANY inspiring survivor stories of folks who have faced the surgery.

It isn't easy, I'm certain, but it is a good path to walk.

Thanks for keeping us posted. Your shrinkage news is so optimistic!

:) Kelly

Marie,

This sounds like fantastic news. 50% shrinkage and possibility for surgery is all reason to celebrate.. I think you should be elated with this news. As for the surgery, most people do rather well with it. Mike recouperated very well after having an entire lung removed. If and when you get to that point, there are many here that can share their experiences with you. Sending hugs and prayers for continued success.

Love,

Sue

Marie,

That is wonderful news! 50% shrinkage is fantastic, but the outlook of being able to continue on to surgery is even better.

I know surgery will be hard, but the hope and the odds for a cure that come with it are so worth the effert.

I am praying for even greater shrinkage and a successful surgery followed by a quick and painfree recovery.

this is great news. and you ARE young. my mom was 55 (or so) when she had her lobectomy, and she did great with it. had a few problems this time around though. I don't blame you for being wary of surgery, but it's a great opportunity to kick this cancer! we support you, no matter what. and 59 IS YOUNG. 60 is the new 50 :lol:

xoxo

bunny

Marie, first all that shrinkage, GREAT NEWS! Having surgery is challenging but very doable. I vote get it all out, as long as the doctors are willing. Go for the cure.

Second, you are young. Evidently you are 2 months older than I but I want to be young, therefore you are still young!

Keep us posted. Donna G

This is wonderful news! My husband had surgery on Nov. 11. His was supposed to be a lobectomy, but they did not need to take the entire lobe. You have to have the surgery so you can beat this! He did taxotere too. His tumor responded well too. The recovery is not too bad. He went hunting in Jan. with his bow, so you can do this! No problem!

Kim

Hi Marie,

Other people on this site have had surgery after shrinkage from treatments and are doing okay. They will give you plenty of tests beforehand to make sure your heart and everything is okay to withstand surgery. It is my understanding that surgery is the best hope to remove the cancer. At least that is what I was told by my surgeon. But I had a smaller tumor 1.8 centimeters and was told by my surgeon that radiation usually doesn't help much with the smaller tumors. If you are in pretty good health otherwise, maybe you should give it a try. Whatever you decide I will be pulling for you!

Sharon

Thank you all so much for the positive words.Another thing that scares me is the lymph node involvment,they stopped the surgery the first time because of it,and the onc.is only going by the tumor shrinkage and hoping it killed what was in the lymph nodes???she says there is no way of knowing for sure.

if its still there the operation wont get it all.

Marie