Happy Anniversary to my folks

KatieB

I had that anniversary party for my parents last night.

As you know dad's been having a rough time with the Rad. + new chemo and has needed a walker, extremely fatgued, appetite not great....

Well, every single person I invited came to the party! ALL of their friends from the last 35 years, some they haven't seen in many years. It was fantastic! My house was jammed with people.

Dad was a trooper and sat up until 10pm (goes to bed at 8pm) and he ate SO WELL, had cake, a DP Float, and as exhausted as he looked, he had a great time.

His very bestfriend from 1957 made a trip to see him. This is an old Navy buddy (Japan/Korea) that he only recently reunited with over the phone ( I went to the USS Bennington website and amazingly I found this guy listed there in the alumni section (another "gift" I gave my daddy- in finding this guy) Anyway, his old friend came and it was so special. Brought Dad a little white pekinese pup and it is SO small and SO sweet...Dad smiled all night.

Today, I went over to see "how bad" things were...like maybe he over-did things with eating too much or over-stimulation, and was paying for it today with vomitting, extreme pain or weakness.....well..NOTHING. Dad was good. Fatigued as usual, but he ate like he did a few weeks ago, when appetite was good! He asked for popcorn 30 minutes after that! And talked and visited with us.

Don't know if this will last once this beautiful weekend is over, but I wanted to post in GOOD NEWS> because even if this upturn was for just a few days, it was a wonderful few days for all of us!

Katie, what a wonderful daughter you are!! To track down your dad's friend from 1957!! Wow!! What a gift and a great idea for the rest of us to get in touch with old friends...and stay in touch. I update our friends and family with emails (about 35 to 40 people). Sometimes I email photos of Tim so his friends and family far away can see that he's not looking too bad. They write back and it really makes Tim feel special. I'm sure your dad will never forget his party.

Annie

Happy anniversary (although it is belated) to Katies wonderful Mom and Dad...Katie, I am so happy for you all that you all go to enjoy the party. Its so wonderful that so many of your family and your parents' old friends came to help in the celebration!!! Sounds like you guys made for some wonderful memories!!! Wishing you all more of the same. :D Take care, Deb

Katie,

The party sounds just like what the doctor ordered! I am so glad your Dad found the strength to enjoy this special celebration.

How cool about your Dad's buddy showing up and bing your Dad a puppy! Jack got me a Pomeranian puppy, which cheers me up no matter how bad I feel. I love her antics and mischief. When we scold her, she grabs her swatting news paper and goes outside, through our dog door to escape punishment. You can't catch her, she is just too quick! Except when she gets hung up in the door! Ha! (almost too small to reach the door)

Cheryl

Katie

So glad your Dad enjoyed the party. Another gift from his wonderful daughter -- his old buddy. Hoping this might be the start of the upturn on the rollercoaster. If it isn't, at least your Dad had a wonderful temporary reprieve which he won't soon forget.

Gail P-M

Guest Cheryl Schaefer

Great news about the party and your dad's reaction. He must be so proud and happy to have you as a daughter. How very caring you are. Take each and every one of these good times with you. Remember them always, Best,

Cheryl