Vomiting and Hair loss

-Cheryl-

Hello friends,

I wanted to write a personal message during this littl window of opportnity to get back to all of you that have been so kind to have written me. So, I decides to post i the General section. I have been so nauseated and vomited every morsal that I have tried to put into my mouth these last few days. Jack drug me to the ER for fear of dehydration. I was running a low grade fever too. The ER gave me a fluid IV and some antibiotics. They took and x-ray and my lungs looked clear.

Has anyone experienced a major burning just below the sternum that radiates, wraps around to their back? This happens most with cold foods and acidic foods. All food triggers this gag reflex when I try to eat. And How long will this last after treatment? I had my last chemo on Mon.. Anti-nausea pills haven't worked, I tried them all.

Also, my scalp is soooo sensitive! How long does it take for hair to grow back after treatment ends?

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl.

What you are experiencing is most likely radiaton induced esophagitis. In most people, it gets better within a period of weeks (4-6) after completion of chest radiation. I was unfortunate enough to get an esophageal ulcer, complicated by steroid use for my pneumonitis, and it took me several months to get through it. But almost everyone does. Most people find that the best things to eat and drink are bland and served at room temp to luke warm. You'll find what you like. For me it was grits and egg drop soup. Your radiation oncologist should prescribe some other things that might help.

Nausea and vomiting are usually not a big problem, just odynophagia (painful swallowing) but I guess if you have a strong gag reflex it could be.

Praying for the best.

Sam

Cheryl, are you getting an acid taste in your mouth and throat? Lucie developed acid reflux during her chemo and radiation treatments and she took Nexium which cleared it up. After she had completed her treatments, she went off the Nexium, as the acid reflux was only temporary. Don

Cheryl,

I was miserable the week after my second Cisplatin and VP-16 treatment, but it was like a really bad stomach virus. I lived on tiny sips of apple juice and water and salitne crackers. When I went in for radiation the following Monday, I told them, "If I haven't lost weight this week, there's no way I ever will in my life." I already take Prevacid daily--had a hiatal hernia long before this cancer made itself know, so maybe that's why I was spared the burning you are talking about.

My hair started growing back almost exactly one month after my last day of treatment, which was April 16. Now I look like I hae a military cut, and it hasn't done any notcieable growing for a while--I think the Taxotere and the Iressa have slowed down all hair growth. While I was bald I still had to shave my legs and underarms and had facial hair that I didn't want and all that. Now I have a head full of short hair and all my body hair is getting thin. Go figure. Anyway, in three weeks or so you will probably start feeling baby soft fuzz on top of your head. Hang in there.

Becky

CHERYL,

WHAT HAPPENED. YOU WERE DOING SO WELL. HANG IN THERE KID THEY SAY ITS ONLY TEMPORARY. KEEP YOUR HEAD SHAVED. IT HURTS LESS WHEN THERE IS NO HAIR THERE. MY HAIR STARTED TO GROW AND I COULD HARDLY LAY MY HEAD ON A PILLOW WITH OUT IT HURTING SO I SHAVED IT AND KEEP IT SHAVED UNTIL THE TREATMENT IS DONE.

YOUR IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.