New to the site

mnelson

Hi, my name is Marian. I don't know what to say at this point except I am scared out of my wits. I have not been diagnosed, but I am sure that something is not right. I have been a pack a day smoker for the last 20 years and lately I have noticed that my "smokers cough" has changed. Then last night I had a cough attack and the dreaded moment had come, there was red in the phlegm. At this point, I don't know if I should just ignore it and pretend this is not happening or just get it over with and call the doctor. I know there has been advances with treatments on this disease, but still the outcome always seems to be the same. My dad passed away from LC in 1996. He was diagnosed in August and passed in the beginning of November. The thought that I only have a couple of months left scares me to death. I have one daughter who is 12 and the thought that I will leave her fills me with dread. Can someone help. :(:cry:

Marian, Best to call the doctor and make an appointment and find out exactly what it is. Understandable to worry. Your putting the cart before the horse. Also Lung Cancer is not a automatic death sentence today like it was back in 1996. I'm living with it, doing well and plan on beating it. See my profile. Hope this helps. Rich

Welcome Marian,

Please do not ignore what happened. You need to get an appointment scheduled as quickly as possible! If it is good news you won't have to worry. If not, you can get a plan in place.

Please keep us posted.

Melinda

I agree, get to the doctor! you may be worrying over a whole lot of nothing, or you may catch something that needs to be treated. either way, you've skipped a few steps between a cough and leaving your daughter... :lol: I say that lovingly, because I have been there and know how scared you are. please, see the doctor and let us know how we can support you.

fyi, my mom is also a 5+ year survivor of LC. it's not a death sentence!!

xoxo

amie

Marian,welcome to our support family.Get a dr.appt. as soon as you can.It could be other things as well but it is better to find out what is wrong and get started fixing it ASAP.

There are many of us here who were given a couple months to live by the drs.and are still here years later and still going.

Welcome Marian,

You've received some excellent advice here. You need to slow down that overactive mind of yours and take one step at a time. The FIRST step is to get yourself to a doctor and get a scan done. Step two will be going over that scan with you doctor. This COULD be totally non-cancer related, ya know? But...and this is a BIG but (not butt :lol: )...IF it does happen to be cancer you must know that there are MANY who are around for lots and lots of years. When you are calm and have some time, you need to read the Profiles found under each of our names. You will see lots of us are around a long time.

So, dear Marian, today start with step one. Then come back and let us all know how that went. We are here to support and even offer our limited advice you sometimes. We root for folks, laugh, and cry with them too. So get going!

Kasey

Hi Marian,

Of course you are scared out of your wits. But do not jump to conclusions. Many people on here thought they might have this dreaded disease and it turned out positive for them they they did not.

I remember one time this person was so scared she had LC and it turned out to be Tuberulosis and she was thrilled. Thrilled over TB, yes that is curable. We were so happy for her.

You must, you must make an appoinment pronto and start taking test to find out what it is.

You know if it is LC it is not a death sentence. There are MANY people on here who have beaten the odds and still are here years later and dong fine.

Please try to relax, get to the doc and find out what is causing your symptoms.

We are always here to help you through this. You are not alone here.

Maryanne

Hi,

Please, go to a doctor and ask for a thorough check up pertaining to this. My husband was coughing up a little blood for six months before he was diagnosed correctly - the dr.'s kept saying it was acid refux, or a sinus problem. Had he caught it at the first symptoms, I think we would be farther along today in treatment. And, as everyone has said - there may be another explanation, and if it is LC, there are so many new treatments and survivors!

Please keep us updated!

Sandra

I coughed up a bit of blood and went to the doctor the very next day. I had an xray and it was determined that I had pneumonia. I was given antibiotics and went back to the doctor two weeks later. The pneumonia had cleared up but there was a tumor on my upper right lung. (I later found our that recurring bouts of pneumonia are a symptom of lung cancer). Next I had a CT scan, then a lung biopsy then a PET scan. Long story short=Yes I did have lung cancer. I had surgery and I do not have cancer today. RUN DO NOT WALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. Tell him what you have told us here. Cancer does not have to be a death sentence. If you wait, that is what will hurt you. If I had waited the cancer in my lung would have surely spread and I would not have been able to have surgery. My stage was 3A. That is most times the last stage that you can have surgery.I truly understand your fear.I had it also, but please see your doctor as soon as possible.

Prayers

Marian,

Don't let fear get the better of you. Please, please make an appointment to see the doctor ASAP. Waiting is not a good idea and will only make you worry more. We are a large community of survivors who are here to support each other. That includes you, so please, call the doctor and go. Then come back here - we are here to help.

Joanie

I can only reinforce what everyone else has said. Take a deep breath and make that call, not knowing can be far more frightening than anything the dr will tell you.

If you cough a lot the blood could be a simple side effect of that, so go get it checked and then you'll know what devil you're dealing with.

Good luck

Geri

I agree with all of the others. You need to see the doctor. There are many reasons besides cancer that could have caused you to cough up blood. Whatever it is, the earlier you catch it and treat it the better. I would insist on an x-ray at the very least.

As for survival, read my bio. Soon I will be celebrating 3 years with no problems since my original treatment plan. I attribute this all to the fact that my disease was caught fairly early.

Nina