tightness in chest

elkiesmom

Gary has tightness in his chest. I asked him where and he pointed to his breast bone area right in the middle of chest area. He said it is not like he feels with his asthma but he said he is short of breath. Whenever he hasn't had Chemo for a few weeks he gets this way. I blame it on lack of steroids but I am not a doctor He is going to a new pulmonary doctor Monday since the old one when this first happened a few months ago just said get use to it without a why. Our Onc recommended this new doc because Gary will need a pulmonary doc anyway as a partner with his ONC. I am just worried that when they took out Gary's top right lobe they also had to resection his bronchi tube and rewrap it with fat. Could something be wrong with that resection? To me this makes sense but the doctors have said they see nothing wrong with the resection. Has anyone on this board had the same feeling that Gary has?

Lorrie

Lorrie,

You should call the doctor and tell them, see what they say? Back in Sept04 I had tightness in the middle of my chest, shortness of breath. Turns out I took a (I do have a history of heart disease and congestive heart failure) heart attack. Not saying that is what it is. Could be anything. Call at least to put your mind at ease. Hope this helps.

Rich

Lorrie,

You should call the doctor and tell them, see what they say? Back in Sept04 I had tightness in the middle of my chest, shortness of breath. Turns out I took a (I do have a history of heart disease and congestive heart failure) heart attack. Not saying that is what it is. Could be anything. Call at least to put your mind at ease. Hope this helps.

Rich

Wow. But would this be constent. The same thing happened when he stoped Chemo when he had a week off. He has told the doctor and he says that is to be expected. I will have gary call the doctor and we are seeing the primary Friday. I will also bring it up. Gee I never though of that and he is at work right now. Thankyou lorrie

Gary went to our primary Doc today and told him about the tightness in his chest and how he is short of breath. The doc told him that the tightness was due to inflamation of the rib cage due to the surgery and he said does it feel tighter when you press on it and Gary said it did. He said that was to be expected and the steriods masked the thightness but he is only our primary. Gary told me not to mention anything about any heart problems that it might be so I kept my mouth shut. Gary will be going to a new pulmonary doc monday because the other one he had was very dismisive.We will see what he has to say. I also might bring up the heart issue because I do worry about that also.We got the paper work for the new doc a few days ago and they require that we bring in all Gary's pill bottles. I have never heard of this and I wonder if any of you have had to do this. Gary said it makes him feel like an old man not to be trusted.When he called them about this all they said the doc had to check to see if he is taking the right meds. We have been there before and we have been told to switch meds and Gary a few weeks later ends up in the ER with a bad Asthma attack. Our ONC does highly recommend this doctor and I did get the feeling that he didn't think much of the old one that Gary was going to.I am rambleing sorry and thank you. Boy I wish this site had spell check.LOL

Lorrie

Hi Lorrie,

I just wanted to say with regards to the pills, most times when my Dad sees a new Doctor, he is always asked to bring his medication. Someone then simply makes a list of it all, for the record, so we've done that ourselves now and just take in the list. Do you think you could just take a list?

Wishing you and your husband well, peace and love,

Lynda

Hi Lorrie,

I just wanted to say with regards to the pills, most times when my Dad sees a new Doctor, he is always asked to bring his medication. Someone then simply makes a list of it all, for the record, so we've done that ourselves now and just take in the list. Do you think you could just take a list?

Wishing you and your husband well, peace and love,

Lynda

That is what we have always done infact we have a list already for any future doctor visits That was good enough for the surgeon. Oh well we can't fight the system.It just makes my 63 year old husband feel 10 years older.

Lorrie

Hi, I will just put in my 2 cents. I had to take off a week of chemo due to low white counts, red cell counts and low platelets. I went to onc every day last week for Leukine daily and Procrit one day. After the procrit/Leukine shots the next day I had bone pain in my ribs, sternum and spine. It felt like a vise closing in on my chest. I took a pain pill and was relieved, so it was just bone pain. The blood cells are made in the bone marrow, thats why you get bone pain with those meds. If I had shortness of breath or other cardiac symptoms, and the pain wasnt relieved, I would have gone to ER.

But go to ER by all means if you think its something else.

Also, taking ALL meds, even over the counter, lets the doc get dosing info, refill info, etc. right off label so he doesnt prescribe something else, or may want to change dosage of medication you are taking.

Good luck

I have been to doctors that ask for all the pill boxes on a regular basis. It gives them a lot of information. And you want every doctor you use to know what medications you are taking. I have put both mine and Lucie's lists on computer, keep it updated, and bring a printout each time we see a doctor. Most appreciate that. Don

I have been to doctors that ask for all the pill boxes on a regular basis. It gives them a lot of information. And you want every doctor you use to know what medications you are taking. I have put both mine and Lucie's lists on computer, keep it updated, and bring a printout each time we see a doctor. Most appreciate that. Don

That is what Gary did before he went into the hospital and he updates it as needed. We went to the pulmonary doctor today and everything looks good. I think we will keep this one he didn't rush us at all and asked all the right questions. BTW they never asked for the pill bottles only asked us what pills (inhalers) Gary takes. We just gave him the list. He wanted Gary to have a chest X Ray but we told him that Gary will have his pet and ct scan March 6th and we would have our ONC send a copy to him. He told us the tightness in Gsry's chest was due to his asthma and the healing process and since Gary is no longer getting the massive dose of steriods that he got from Chemo it is more noticable. He really took his time listening to Gary's chest back and front and I feel he did a better job then our other doctors.He also did a breathing test and next month he will do a more extensive breathing test.

Lorrie