Ed can't talk

adela

Ed since the 26th of December has not talked well. The doctor said that the left side of the voice box has a nerve that goes down into the lung and comes back up. The nerve has a cancer tumor pressing against it This has devastated Ed and the doctor didn't say anything can be done. Since then Ed has been in a tailspin downward. Any thoughts on this and what I can do to get Ed's spirit up.

Also he is not walking good at all his right side is getting weaker.

Have You cosidered a Speech Therapist for a second expert opinion? DEb lost her voice also but was at a whisper across the room and a dryerase board at the end of her battle. try the therapist for 2nd opinion. Good Luck and many prayers for you and your Family.

So sorry to hear that Ed is dealing with a voice loss problem. The same thing happened to Dennis and it would always make him so very frustrated. Are you able to hear Ed speak at all? Dennis was able to get out a loud whisper. It seemed that his voice levels would improve for a couple of days and then return to the whisper. The ENT that our oncologist referred us to gave us hope that the chemo might help his voice to return. Sadly, it never did. I would think that a speech therapist might be able to help you.

Praying for good results for Ed.

My husband's voice changes periodically from a semi-whisper to a whisper. The better he's feeling generally, the louder the voice. I would reassure him that you are listening and allow him to take his time. (That was a tough one for me. I'd always want to rush him or tell him to speak up, even when I know it's not something he can control.) Writing also seems like a good option.

Melinda

• 2 weeks later...

Jim is experiencing the same thing... very frustrating since his business involves a lot of telephone work and people have great difficulty understanding him. He can talk in loud whisper. They said the tumor is putting pressure on the nerve leading to the vocal cords and basically he is 'working on one vocal cord' because the other is being compressed. They also said there is a procedure where they can inject something like silicone into the vocal cord to stabilize it but they did not want to do that for him right now... not sure why, or whether there are any significant risks involved, but it might be worth asking about. Last few days Jim's voice has been better and we are hoping the latest chemo (Navelbine) is kicking in. Good luck and keep us updated!

Sandy