new fight coming up

heffa47

Unfortunately I have had experience with these types of boards before. What a great resource they are and I'm looking forward to everyones wealth of knowledge on the subject to help us through our struggles ahead.

My wife is 14 years post chemo for Hodgkins disease and doing very well. We even managed (with a little chemical help) to have a son 7 years ago!

Our most recent battle is for my mother-in-law. She was diagnosed with NSCLC just last week. She is 58 and smoked for about 25 years before quiting about 10 years ago. She is also a breast cancer survivor going on 20 years!

The only info we have at the moment is that she has a tumor in her left upper lung (about the size of a lemon) that is too large to operate on, and it is also affecting the lymph nodes in the area. I'm not even sure what stage that puts her at.

She is waiting for a PET scan to determine where else we might be dealing with. The initial plan is radiation and chemo (the type of chemo has not been discussed yet) to shrink the tumor before any other action is taken.

Anybody have any suggestions before we get started with treatment?

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

Jeff

Welcome Jeff,

I, too, was 58 when dx with Stage llla OR b NSCLC. Initially I was deemed inoperable. You can read my tx in the Profile under my name. I always highly recommend a second opinion. In fact, if you read about me in the My Story forum, you will see I sought 4 opinions. I DID have surgery and right now have no evidence of disease (NED).

Make sure you research all you can. Do not depend solely on your medical team for all your info. Make sure someone attends all appts. and have your questions ready. More 'experts' here will be along with suggestions for you. We are all here to help in any way we can.

Kasey

Good to hear back so soon from people here.

Kasey, We had already found your profile and it sounded most like the way my mother-in-laws is presenting. We are trying not to get our hopes up too high but we are taking alot of hope from your case. I look forward to hearing from everybody of course, but your experience may be the most relevant.

I will post more when we get the next news.

Jeff

Jeff,welcome to our support family.You will find many knowing and caring people here.

I was originally told inoperatable and 3 months to live,mabe 6.This April it will be 3 years now.I was able to find surgeon to operate and have had several bouts with chemo and radiation.

I am sorry to hear about your mother in law.Hope they find a treatment that works and has little side effects.

Hi Jeff; welcome to this board. I am sorry you mother in law has to deal with lc. Hopefully the PET scan will show no further spread of the cancer. If it was me, and no other organs were affected, I would ask do the chemo and radiation with the intent to have surgery when the tumor is smaller. I would ask for carboplatin/gemzar and avastin.

Welcome Jeff. I started with chemo and radiation, then surgery ( then more chemo) It is possible that her tumor will shrink and put her in the surgical category. Please keep us posted. Donna G

Hi Jeff,i am also 58.diagnosed in sept.4cm tumor on right lung.went for surgery but couldnt get it because of lymph node involvment.staged3b.had 8weeks of chemo,carboplatin and taxotere.also had radiation ct scan shows 50% shrinkage,am starting more taxotere on monday.then possible surgery.upper right lobectomy.Prayers to you and your mil.

Marie

Hi Jeff,

Keep a positive Addietude, as that is half the battle.

There is always hope and so many different kinds of treatments. They just have to find the one what is right for your mom.

If you are not happy with what the Doctor says always search out another. That has saved so many lives.

Keep us posted.

Maryanne

Jeff,

I'm really sorry to hear that your Mother-in-Law has NSCLC, My Dad also had NSCLC he was DX on 04/01/05 at 66 years old Unfortunately lost his battle on 11/18/05. :cry: But my advise to you and your family is to stay positve because there are alot of people who survive this monster.Your family will be in my prayers. Keep us posted!

Michele

Please get a second opinion. My husband was diag last may with LC and his tumor was 10cm. Our first doctor said it was also to big and he most likley couldn't operate. We saw another Doc at Moffitt and he said he could operate which he did and gary's stage which was about a 3 a or b at the first doctor turned out to be staged at 1b. PRAYERS

lORRIE