Father has Lung Cancer

Guest casey2693

Guest casey2693

Hello Everyone. My name is Lisa. My father was diagnosed with stage IIIB NSCLC in November. The cancer is in his lymph system, but so far, has not spread to any other organs. I guess I'm looking for some information. Since his diagnosis, he has went down hill fast. He went from 178 lbs. to 138 lbs. His oncologist has changed his chemo 3 times now. At present he goes every Thursday now and recieves Carboplatinum and Taxotere, and they added Avastin. All along he was told that he was not a candidate for radiation. Then at his last appointment, he and my mom expressed to the doctor that if he could not get some relief with his breathing they did not want to continue with treatment, and would consider contacting Hospice. He is so weak and frail, and his breathing is so compromised that he really feels that he does not have any quality of life left. Well, at that, his oncologist got him a radiation consult, and he began radiation treatments today. I guess what I want to know is what he is going through normal?? Should his breathing be this bad? Does it ever get better with just chemo? Will radiation help now, or is it too little, too late? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for this site.

Lisa

Welcome, Lisa. Each person's case and treatment are different, so trying to answer your questions difinitively is difficult. Your dad is on the same chemo my wife initially went through, Carboplatin and Taxotere, and it was very effective for her. The chemo itself can cause fatigue and weight loss. He may not be eating well -- should try snacks every two or three hours rather than three big meals. I did not give my wife the option of not eating something, no matter how she felt. We did lots of liquids like Ensure, Breeze, Smoothies, ice cream, Frosties, etc. Also, with both chemos together, plus radiation, your dad is apt to get dehydrated, even if he is taking in a lot of fluids. He may need an IV for dehydration now and then. My wife is Stage IV and she has lasted over 3 years, so there is hope. Best to you. Don

Welcome Lisa,

If you take a look at my Profile (info under my name), you will see that I, too, was dx as stage llla OR b. In fact, there are MANY of us at that stage....even Stage 4. I would highly recommend that your Dad get another opinion. You can see that I was tx with radiation and chemo right from the beginning. So I am not sure as to why you are being told what you are.

Please take a look in the NSCLC forum. You will find us there. Also read my story in the MY STORY forum.

Glad you have found this site. Keep us updated on your progress and tx.

Kasey

Lisa,

My husband is the same stage as your dad. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the right chemo that will work on killing the tumor--and radiation should really shrink it. Ask about tarceva as a possibility in the future.

Welcome.

Rochelle

Hi Lisa; If your dad just started avastin, he should give that a chance to work. It has been very effective when used with a platinum based drug such as carboplatin. Also, using gemzar instead of taxotere may be a good idea. The gemzar does not cause much neropathy and some studys show it to be more effective than other combos in late stage nsclc. If the tumor is real big, radiation should help shrink it and provide some relief. Do what Don Wood suggested. Make sure your dad gets lots to drink and at least eats snacks throughout the day.

Getting the chemo and radiation is just part of the battle. He has to eat and drink. I hope your dad gets some room to breathe soon.

Don M

Welcome, glad you found us. Many loose weight even before they start treatment. Hope he like to sip on Boost or Ensure. Also, this is very stressful, do you think he is depressed? He may need an antidepressent. Some of your other points it is hard to say for sure. I don't know how old your Dad is, how he did with his lung capacity tests, does he have Emphesema or COPD? Does he have other chronic health problems? I am glad you found us, and hope we can help. Donna G

Guest casey2693

Thank you for all the replies. I will keep all of you posted as to his progress. The doctor said he should be able to breathe better within 7 to 10 days after starting the radiation. I sure hope so.

Lisa

hi there, and welcome, though I wish you didn't need us. people here have had every breathing problem known to man and you'l get answers to your questions here. I know my mom was overwhelmed and discouraged by the state of her breathing after her surgery but now she's out and about, using extra O2 only as needed.

hang in there, and please know that we understand!

xoxo

bunny