financial aid

myrnalu

Does anyone know where to get financial aid?I was hoping to be able to go back to work but my onc says no as I have to go for more chemo then maybe surgery.

In the meantime i get $136.00aweek disability.I live alone,have exhausted my savings and cant afford my meds or pay my rent etc.

marie

My husband applied for diability social seurity and got it in about 3 weeks. He got a appointement at the local socail security office.

To apply is not as complicated as it seems. Once you fill out the form a medical conditions form is filled out by you and your oncologist.

Good Luck

Hello Marie,

That is a good idea about applying for SSD, but for the problem with medical treatments and medications for now, I would apply for medicaid right away. We have it in Ohio and I think it is all over the United States. As long as you don't have more than $1500 in the bank, state medicaid would pay for your medical and I think you now have to pay a dollar on each prescription. Before, it was free. With the same application, you could apply for food stamps. That would help some. Here we have a hospital run by the government and medical treatment is free if you are under the federal poverty level which I'm sure you are. That is what I have. I am on Social Security Disability. I do have to pay a reduced price on my pills, but it is a lot cheaper than a drug store would charge. Also some of the drug companies have a patient assist program where you can get the pills for free. Your doctor just fills out a simple form and you fill out a part too.

I forgot to mention that some of the places that give chemo and radiation will also give you forms to fill out if you ask, to see if your income is low enough that treatment would be free. Here we have Cleveland Clinic. My friend had regular Social Security of about seven hundred a month about three or four years ago, and he did not qualify, but since your disability is less, you just might qualify. They also might have raised the income level by now. He did qualify to get free oxygen with his income. I hope maybe you could find a girl friend to share an apartment or that maybe a family member could rent you a cheap room or something. That's rough when you have to pay the high rents they charge nowadays. Will pray for you and hope things are a little brighter in the future.My aunt was on a low income and use to ask the doctor for free samples of pills.

Sharon

I forgot to mention that some of the places that give chemo and radiation will also give you forms to fill out if you ask, to see if your income is low enough that treatment would be free. Here we have Cleveland Clinic. My friend had regular Social Security of about seven hundred a month about three or four years ago, and he did not qualify, but since your disability is less, you just might qualify. They also might have raised the income level by now. He did qualify to get free oxygen with his income. I hope maybe you could find a girl friend to share an apartment or that maybe a family member could rent you a cheap room or something. That's rough when you have to pay the high rents they charge nowadays. Will pray for you and hope things are a little brighter in the future.My aunt was on a low income and use to ask the doctor for free samples of pills.

Sharon

My Late wifes Oncologist would ask for any leftover pills of any sort to be returned to his office so he could give them to patients who had problems paying for prescriptioons. Daily vitamins, Supplemeents, Pain Management or anything else possible. You may want to ask if they do this at your facility. If not Maybe they could start something to help out those who need the assistance.