My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 non small cell, this week

Jodi

My family and I are devastated. My mom is 70 years old, and this news is freaking her out! She has been a widow for 33 years, raised 5 daughters and was just looking forward to chilling out, retiring, and spending time with the grandchildren. My sisters and I, along with our spouses, have formed a support unit. She WANTS to fight. We switched oncologists, because he wasn't for chemo/radiation concurrently (mass on right lung 8 cm. pressing against heart/possible spread through med., to left lung). Started chemo today, and will meet her new oncologist Friday. She is feeling fine after the first dose of chemo (and a bit loopy from the meds!). She adores her radiation onc. and is set up for a simulation, on Friday. One question....do you guys give her hope (or me?)....she's never had any medical problems, until now, but the first onc. told her 8 months to a year, life span. Grimly enough, I've started to TRY to accept this possibility, but at the same time, I CAN'T! And neither can she! Thanks for letting me vent.

One question....do you guys give her hope (or me?)....she's never had any medical problems, until now, but the first onc. told her 8 months to a year, life span.

I am sorry to hear about your mother but wanted to say welcome to our little family. Hope is what we are here for. You will find loads of info here. Whatever you are feeling at the time, someone here has traveled in your shoes. Stay with us and keep us informed of your progress while we travel this road together. We will cry with you or laugh with you. Just let us know what your needs are.

The best advice I can offer you is to take it one day at a time and don't read between the lines. Don't listen to the statistics on life expectancy. There are many here who have surpassed their given time frame. No need to borrow trouble. Again, Welcome.

welcome

if you dont hold on to hope, you will fall over the edge of insanity. Hope is what keeps everyone here alive. Hope is what we all hold on to so tightly our knuckels turn white.

hold onto hope, even through the darkest of moments, and Never Ever let go of it. Your mom will watch your every expression now and I don't care how much acting you have to do. Never let her see you give up on that hope. She needs to know YOU believe in it, that it is a living thing. that it will get her through this.

keep hope alive in your life no matter what....

shelly

Welcome Jodi,

What a very simple question to answer. Yes, Yes, Yes, there is HOPE!

She doesn't want to give up......with her attitude it doesn't matter how long the doctors predict. Don't even give it a second thought.

My Mom was given 3-6 months in September 04. As far as I'm concerned, doctors should never give that kind of information. It sounds like your Mom is a fighter and has one heck of a support system and daughter. Please keep us posted on her progress.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Jodi,

I'm so sorry that your Mom was diagnosed with Lung Cancer, It's very scary to hear those words but NEVER EVER give up hope. You found a great place and we will support you anytime you need it.Keep your Mom positive and encourage her to fight.

I will keep your family in my Prayers!

Michele

Dad DX 04-01-05 with NSCLC

Passed away 11-18-05 :cry::cry:

Only 66 years old

You all are making me feel better, about this terrible situation. Just an update....my mom, Rose Marie, is feeling great today (one day after her first chemo) and her spirits are high! I am honestly now looking at statistics, in a different way! It seems many people here, are DEFINITELY surpassing the standard, dreaded time span! I think if more of us fight, and prove the statistics wrong, the public will have a different perception of lung cancer! I truly believe in the will to live and positive attitudes! Faith also plays a role (I'm not much of a churchgoer, but am spiritual....I mean there has to be something more than just this earthly life! I'm just not wanting my mom to leave us, anytime soon)! You are all inspirations and I thank you all, for your kind thoughts and prayers and I am sending positive wishes your way, too!

Jodi,

I am sorry your family is going through this, I am glad you have joined our family. As many have already said never give up hope and live every day to its fullest. as you will see in my husband's profile we had a rough 1st year, but Alan is going strong and we are making lasting memories.

Many prayers coming to you and your family.

Welcome, Jodi! My wife was also given 9 months and she is past 3 years now! So, yes, there is plenty of hope. On a sober note: chemo, from our experience, shows side effects several days after treatment, not right away. Also, it can get worse with each cycle. Just didn't want you to have your head in the sand. Some chemos have been hard on my wife and others have been rather gentle. It just depends on the person. Do put your mom's profile on the bottom of your post. Just go to the profile and write in the text. You have a lot of support here. Don

, until now, but the first onc. told her 8 months to a year, life span.

Welcome to the board. Our family is in shock that we just found out last month, my aunt (55) has LC. The Dr.'s have told her she has 18 months to live without chemo. My aunt is a fighter as well as your mom sounds like. My aunt begins chemo on 2/22.

Hopefully, your aunt pulls through, for many more years! I am believing anything is possible! I'll pray for her. I lost my aunt to lung cancer 10 years ago. She truly was soooooo scared, that she spent all of the time thinking about dying....one positive thing, is that my mom doesn't want to do that and is living, with thoughts of living! :D