Getting to Know You - February 17

Ann

Can you remember something that your parents did that you thought (and maybe still think) was fantastic/funny/silly/loving. It doesn't have to be big - just something that really sticks in you memory and makes you feel warm and smooshy.

I am the only girl and I have 4 brothers. My has not missed a Valentine's or Sweetest Day yet. I always get flowers, candy, or something small from him. Its usually something he picked up at the drug store on the way home from work, but its something i appreciate.

My mom worked at the canery for over 40 years. I seemed to see very little of her during the spring and summer but winter was different.

There was usually little work for her during the winter so she would draw unemployment. We lived in Mountain View and the unemployment office was in Palo Alto I guess maybe six or seven miles away. We would walk over a mile to catch a bus every Tuesday. That was my time with Mama. She was always short of money but she would spare enough to buy me a hamburger at the Greyhound Bus Station. I still remember them as the best I ever ate :!:

At the time I always looked forward to Tuesday for the hamburger. It was years later when I realized that she really couldn't afford it as unlikly as that sounds. Now I know that what made the burgers taste so good was being with Mama. By the way she never bought one for herself, only me.

Just off the cuff, I'll offer this:

My early years were spent in San Diego. Dad was a career navy man. We had a privacy fence around our yard and he would shoot the snails that crawled on the fence with a BB gun. There were many and they left slimy tracks.

At some point he heard about escargo being a delicacy. As an enterprising individual, he plucked the snails off the fence and but them in a bucket of cornmeal that rested on the top of our freezer for a couple of weeks. With the proper feed he thought he could harvest our backyard snails and provide a meal.

He was the only one who ate them.

My dad played outside with us an once he did these JOhn Belushi back flips across the length of our yard....I still can not get ovfer seeing him do that.

My mom sewed lots of our clothes an every easter...three little girls were decked out in outfits that coordinated. I love the pics of us dressed in her love.