Help if you can

mama4zach

Hi to everyone, I go back to my sclc onc tomo to discuss my bone mets and what can be done. I have one at the base of skull in neck, one in shoulder, one in pelvis, one in hip, one on tail bone, one in the upper thigh and one on my butt. When I first spoke with her she made me feel like not much could be done. She said i had 2 options, nothing at all or chemo with will consist on irinotecan and carboplatin. It will be given once a week. She also mentioned a trial. I really don't know much about mets to bones except it hurts bad. But I thought they could be treated. I was dx with sclc limited in January of 2005. I received cisplatin and etoposide and radiation until the end of April. I also had PCI treatments. I go to Johns Hopkins and would think they would know what could or could not be done. I understood her to say even with chemo I only had about a year. I know no one knows how long anyone has to live except our Lord up above, but it is really scarey when you have a 3 year old to think about. If anyone has had this treatment would you please let me know how it did both with the cancer and physically. But like I said before I was in shock when I talked to her and maybe I misunderstood. Please help me if you can.

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy,

My mom had bone mets in several different places. When her cancer returned after the first round of chemo, she also did irinotecan and cisplatin. As far as the bone mets go, they did radiation for the ones that caused her pain. Sorry I don't have more information, but I am wishing you the best.

Lucie has had bone mets all through her bouts with lc. If you are having sharp, constant pain, radiation could be used to ease that. Also, if the mets threaten bone integrity (like a fracture), radiation can be used. Lucie also takes Zometa once a month to help strengthen the bones against mets. Don

Nancy, Are you experiencing pain from your bone mets right now? My mom is currently having radiation to her bone mets on her shoulder, both hips, L4 & L5 vertebrae and tailbone. She takes oxycodone for breakthrough pain and has a fentyl(sp?) patch for steady pain meds. She has NSCLC and didn't have pain from the mets for quite awhile. I'm hoping your doctor gives you some more choices.

Trish

Nancy,

I'm so sorry your in this pain. If the bone mets have not been radiated previously, they should be able to radiate to alleviate the pain. Also ask about Zometa, it's used for Non small cell bone mets and has kept a couple of members here maintained for some time. I don't know if it will work with small cell, but it can't hurt to ask.

I know it's so hard to keep your chin up, I pray you're able to get some answers and comfort from your next onc appt.