Mike Feb 20th updated-went to doctor

shineladysue

Hi Everyone,

I have thought about dropping in for a while, but it's hard to know what to say. Mike is still struggling with the same symptoms. He has been on various antibiotics and numerous meds and treatments to relieve his cough and congestion, but it seems none have really gotten rid of it. Today he is sounding more congested, than he has been, and he is feeling more short of breath. We called the doctor (his pulmonologist) this morning and he is scheduled to go in at 1:00Pm. I don't want him to have to go into the hospital again, but it just might be necessary again. We will see what the doctor decides. Again, I ask for your prayers . Thank you for being here for us.

Love,

Sue

Thank you for updating us Sue. I wish there was better news for Mike's SOB and congestion. I'm praying for you both that they will have something for him today and he won't have to be admitted to the hospital.

Stay strong.....prayers are being sent to the one that can make a difference.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Went to the doctor and we are back. Things aren't looking so good. The doctor isn't offering anything in the way of much help or hope . He said it's not a curable situation. He said at best he could put him in the hospital and make him feel better for a couple days , but does Mike want to be in the hospital. No, Mike does not. The plan now is to continue what we are doing at home to keep Mike comfortable. We can only take it one day at a time from here. We will get a sputum sample cultured to see what kind of antibiotic may help and he may want that, but it could mean putting him in the hospital . We shall see. I don't know what else I can say at this time. Thank you for your kind words and prayers.

Love,

Sue

Oh ((((Sue)))),

It does not sound like a very good position for you to be in right now, and I am SO sorry. I am hoping that Mike is sort of comfortable, at least. I hope the doctor wasn't telling you that Mike couldn't be made comfortable. Maybe I am over reading here. I am getting upset for you, my dear friend. Like Pat, wish I could visit and give you a reprieve from all your duties so you could just get a little rest, perhaps. I just don't know what to say right now. You know, of course, that Fred and I keep you and Mike so close in prayer each day. I SO want to believe that helps. Sometimes though, I am really not sure.

Please come and visit and keep us updated....even if it is with nothing new to report. Makes me feel better to see you here.

Love,

Kasey

I am sorry the doctor wasn't very helpful. It just seems that they should be able to clear up the infection. Why not ask for a referral to the infectious disease doctor and see what he says? They have so many new antibiotics now they should have something to throw at it even if they can't get a good culture. It may mean doing a picc line at home but that's doable and much better than what he's going through. I hope they get him some relief soon.

Ry,

We hope a sputum sample can be obtained and taken in tomorrow. It takes about 24 hours for a culture. Mike's doctor will call in the infectuos team if it is something that he doesn't know how to handle or if it is resistant to drugs he can take orally and then they will put him in the hospital on antibiotic drugs. The problem we have here is that trying to stop the tumor at this point is like trying to stop a runaway train... He has three stents in him now . The prognosis is not good at this point. I'm really not handling this well. We think we are ready for this, but Mike sat there and said.. You mean "He's calling me home, that's how I feel" and the doctor said "I've never lied to you, I agree with you.". It was at that point I started choking on tears and I haven't been able to recouperate since. Can't write more now...

Love,

Sue