Will a cold ever just be a cold again? And other ramblings

gail

Oncologist check up is tomorrow. I am approaching 5 years in April, and my head is spending too much time remembering where I was 5 years ago. I will never forget 5 years ago, watching the Daytona 500 for the first time ever and feeling sick. That was when Dale Earnhart died too. I avoid the 500 now like a plague.

Anyway, started feeling sick on Saturday. Stuffy head, cough, low grade fever. Now remember, I teach 20 + 8 year olds who don't follow hygiene all the time. Everyone and their mother has this bug--only I think it "could be" those evil nodules.

Last time I had this, I coughed so hard I broke a rib. Am being much more careful this time, but I do feel like I just did tons of sit ups.

Went to the doctor yesterday and got medicine that is useless, and found I had lost 5 pounds since my last visit in November. Now who besides a cancer person would be concerned with a weight loss? I have not been dieting, but just maybe I could be eating less?

Will check in tomorrow after the doctor

gail

Gail,

Totally understand, the combination of a big anniversary, a doc visit that goes along with that, AND cough and cold, I'd be a wild woman!

But, coming up to 5 years, you are in such a good place, and like you said yourself, everybody and their mother has this bug going around right now.

I know this is easier said than done, but try to relax and realize that it's just a cold like everyone else and plan that celebratory facial that I feel is coming up for you!

Let us know how it goes.

Cindy

I DO hear you, Gail, loud and clear! I guess it never leaves our minds, ya know? Guess that is the price we must pay....and if that is all there is to pay....it is a small price!

Here's hoping all is well and that you have just been LUCKY to be able to lose a couple of pounds. I am AFRAID to wish for that though.

Thinking of you,

Kasey

Dear,

I am lending you my wobbly self to lean on. Maybe together we will be less frantic.

I understand.

I am praying that you have a 'kid' germ.

BTW

I seem to be holding on to those pounds for you.........Now that I know it is for you I will quit complaining.

Lots of love

P

Gail,

Please pass your worries over to me (Queens, NY) and I'll mind them. You have a great track record going on five years - it's just wonderful and you'll make it for sure. The stress we undergo when this strikes seems to come back and that probably is natural. At least, for me, I go thru that from time to time and when I do I allow myself to think about it for a set period of time, and then I do my best to "put it away" That usually happens at check up time, scan time. Please keep us posted, ok?

Joanie ((()))

I'm not sure that the paranoia ever goes away completely - had the same reaction as you to a bad cold after the holidays -

but I think we have reached the stage when at least we recognize it for what it is........left over cancer concerns.

I find it to be small consolation for my peace of mind but as most cancer survivors seem to feel the same way I guess we're normal, neurotic maybe, but normal for cancer people!

Hoping for good reports tomorrow,

Geri

So Gail, should we be concerned that this group of people we are so closely associated with understand "neurotic normal"?

The rest of the world will bring out the nets and padded rooms!!!

What the hell I kinda like this new normal, I can get away with all sorts of craziness.

Geri

Gail, I found your five pounds (and they brought some friends :shock::lol: ).

Seriously, though, I hope your scans are perfect. Try some Fisherman's Friend cough drops - they're nasty enough to scare most coughs away. They also come in a sugar-free version to spare your teeth the constant sugar-bath.

As the mother of 2 little germ factories, I know how impossible it is to avoid these "bugs". Fell better soon.