Tarceva Side Effects

Meghan

:? Hello All -

I have been a "lurker" for quite some time but this is my first posting. My mother was diagnosed April 2005 with NSCLC Stage IIIB. She underwent a rigorous radiation/chemo combo followed up by standard Chemo (Gemzar and Carbo). She just had her last PET scan and it shows that all sites (tumor and two spots in left lung and 1 spot in wall of mediastinum of left lung) are resolved or nearly resolved. (The tumor is the only thing termed "nearly resolved" and the indication is that what is left is consistent with scar tissue.) Mom just started on Tarceva on Sunday or Monday morning and almost immediately had stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea, and a chill (but no fever). I am hoping (as strange as this sounds) that is not the drug but, rather, one of the many bugs that are out there making many people sick in our area. She's feeling better tonight. Should she call her doctor? Has anyone else experienced these side effects (and so quickly)? Will they resolve themselves.

Also, anyone else's doctor recommending that they take Tarceva during a time when their scan seems quite good? (Obviously, we cannot know - except through time - whether she is truly cancer-free.)

Thanks for the input. God Bless you all!

Meghan...

Welcome to this wonderful site!!! I don't recall Mom having those specific side-effects although she had the chills more often and diarrhea is an almost constant companion of Tarceva from what i understand. Someone will come along who can tell you more information.

In the mean time, add our prays for a great outcome!!

sheesh, i almost forgot...

It can never hurt to call the doctor and check things out you're not sure of, first of all. Secondly, Mom was put on Tarceva as something for maintaining her good results and to hold her steady, so yes, she was put on it BECAUSE she had good results. (Again, someone might come along who will know better than i, but that's what we were told)

Deb took Immodium for Diarhea but other symptoms are new to me As I recall She had dry skin and the Acne rash as she called it. Onc put her on Tarceva as a stabilizer drug to maintain rather than cure or kill cancer. Call Dr. to check synptoms. Low WBC Counts mean more susceptible to any disease and harder to recover. CALL DR. ASAP to be sure it is not a bug.

Hi,

I have been on Tarceva for 10 months now and have experienced more than my share of side effects. It has all been worth it though because of the results. I would check with the doctor if you are concerned. I have called my onc so many times thinking that there is no way I could have yet another side effect, but everytime he tells me that Tarceva is the cause. As he tells me, they themselves are still learning about this drug.

I wish you all the best,

Sharon

Was on Iressa, which is very similar to Tarceva. The Iressa put me into remission with the lung cancer. Did have a met to the brain. Tried Tarceva when the FDA said no more Iressa. No intestinal problems but had what looked like chemical burns on my face, around the eyes and laugh lines. Intense burning and pain. Onc had not seen that reaction. Also my feet had the same problem in different creases. Quit taking it back in December and have not had a body scan since then but my blood work is good. Tarceva gave me horribly dry flaky skin, used a bath oil similar to Alpha Keri that is somewhat helpful. Lots of vaseline and socks help the feet as one suggested. praying for you and family. pammie

Hi Meghan,

I remember that many of our members have had side effects from Tarceva especially in the beginning and after consulting with the onc., ususally the dose was changed and that seemed to help.

Some of the side effects one can live with, others are alarming. Your Mom's situation sounds like a call to the doc is in order.

Good luck to her.

Cindi o'h

Thanks to all of you for your replies to my post. My mother has not called the doctor. Her symptoms have subsided and are just the typical Tarceva reactions - chemical burn-type acne on her face, some diarrhea, and skin dryness. She's sticking with it. She felt fatigued this weekend but feels much better today.

I believe very strongly in the power of prayer and believe that all of the prayers of family, friends, and strangers has certainly brought us to a good place in Mom's treatment.

Thanks again to all and God Bless! Meghan :D