glad I found this

carguy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely no offense taken on this front. I had been wondering what that rumbling was I was hearing from a few miles down the road...

Breathe deep, slow, steady breaths. Envision that beautiful coral reef off the coast of Mexico and know, just know, that you'll be diving on it again real soon. Perhaps with a new friend or two.

Then go out and chow down on some incredible meal.

You deserve all this and more.

Fran

Carguy I just wanted to tell you that not all nodules are cancer no matter how they light up and how they look - my sister just had her thoracotomy today (no prior biopsy) - when they start the surgery they do a broncoscopy as part of it and then take out some nodes and the nodule(s) itself and the pathology department looks at it right away. These two areas in my sister's left lower lobe and hilar region lit up on the PET and they sent her direct to the surgeon (the pet said cancer til proven otherwise) and guess what - they were not cancer - they were caseating granulomas without calcification which may be TB or some other kind of infection. She is now in isolation in ICU recovering from the thoracotomy and we have to wait till next Tuesday to see exactly what the cause of the granulomas is. Just wanted to share this as it was a similar path to yours that she followed (her nodule was discovered during a CT scan for a diverticulitis episode). So here's hoping that your outcome is the same.

The day after your surgery the hospital will have you up out of bed walking. It is important to build your lung capacity. I bought a wonderful recliner that has massage and heat and all that good stuff. I think I spend to much time in it thought cause my butt is getting to be mighty large. It was suggested to me to try PRANAYAMA. Pranayama is Yogic breathing exercise. I have been doing that since I found out about it which was three weeks after my surgery. I had a rib bone removed during my surgery and I have soreness and numbness. As far as my lung capacity. I feel 100% of course that is impossible with the top of my right lobe removed, but I feel great. Getting that tumor out of my body gave me energy even though a my upper right lobe was removed with the tumor. I will pray that your surgery and recovery go as well as mine did.

Prayers

Yea Alfac! Welcome! You are so so lucky to find it sooooo early. Good luck to you. I had surgery and then biospy. These surgeons look at ct scan day in and day out. Most often they are so correct, check out your surgeon and his credentials.

Mare

welcome to you. I hate that you have to be here, but welcome. I love that you can express all the horrible feelings that come with this disease so clearly.

I know I am coming to all of this late, but I can tell you that my mom had a 'spot' that, we were told, a biopsy would have been the same as major lung surgery because of where it was located. she opted to watch and wait (this was about 2 years after her dx and forst lung surgery, a lobectomy). ultimately, another tumor showed itself which was easily reachable by a fine needle and was, in fact, LC. when they did her pneumonectomy, both spots turned out to be cancerous.

also, a note on the recliner: my mom didn't have one, and refused to get one. :roll: what can I say, she's a tough cookie who is also an interior designer. anyway, we propped her up with tons of pillows after her surgery, which worked well. she liked the fact that she could use some to her side, etc., and sort of lean on them for different positions.

anyway, I know I didn't touch on every thing you raised. do keep coming here and let us support you. this is a truly, truly remarkable group of people.

xoxo

amie

Rob,

I, too, am sorry that I am late arriving to your post.

Someone from this board gave me great advice when I was waiting for my surgery. They said that at first it would feel like a fleet of trucks hit me, but every day, there would be one less truck. That visual helped me when I was in the hospital because I always knew the next day I would feel better than the day before. I got operated on Monday morning, and by Thursday I really did feel pretty good. And let me tell you, even though I am the world's biggest chicken, the surgery was entirely doable.

When I came home from the hospital, for all intents and purposes, I was alone. My son's father was at the house to take care of my son because there was no way I could take care of him, but I pretty much took care of me. Buy alot of extra pillows because you will want them in your bed- that was one thing I didn't do and a friend went to Walmart and bought me about 6 of them. The first few days you are home, you will most likely take pain pills so you will drift in and out of sleep. I only woke to microwave myself something or heat up soup, watch TV a bit and then would go back to sleep. After about a week, I was ready to join the human race somewhat.

I did have a local home health aide come to the house twice a week- this was covered on my insurance. She came and took my blood pressure, etc and to check on my overall progress. She only stayed about a 1/2 hour, but at least it was some sort of support. I found out the hard way that about half the people in the world don't really know what to do when your sick, so they basically avoid you. :roll:

Anyway, good luck, and I don't think the stairs will be an obstacle. You will just have to take your time with them and make sure you remember to bring everything you need upstairs with you the first time! :shock:

You'll get through this... hang in there...

Welcome Rob,

Sorry I missed your post until now. You remind me a lot of my husband. He is also a tall one, about 6'4" and was always healthy and fitness conscious. He is also a Car guy, big mopar fan, he has a 69 superbee and I just bought him the new 2006 Dodge Charger. He quit smoking about 3 years prior to diagnosis, which was back in 2003 when he was 31.

It is so unfair that you have to go through this and experience this rage, fear and anxiety; especially at such a young age. There is no rhyme or reason to this horrible disease, it strikes where it will and whomever it desires with no logic or consideration.

But, you are lucky it was found so early and that surgery is an option. It is difficult, but with this option you WILL beat this!

Use that rage you are feeling and focus it, funnel it into determination and a goal for total healing.

I think it is a GREAT idea that you stay with a friend for a while following surgery. If you find you don't need the help, you can always go home, but it is best to have the support there just in case to make it easier for you and to allow you to concentrate on getting better. Remember that when you need extra support or to rage and vent, or to laugh and celebrate we will also be here for you.

I know you are preparing for your surgery, and you are probably pretty anxious. Keith and I always feel a little more comforted when we know we are fighting the beast. If it eases your mind any to know, you will be in my prayers up through your surgery and following it. I will be praying for you to have a successful surgery, clean margins, and a fast and easy recovery.

I look forward to getting to know you more, but will understand if you need a break for a while as you heal. But please come back once in a while just to let us know how you are doing as we all care about you.

God Bless

Carleen

I'm home. Initial biopsy shows no malignancy. Will knows for sure with final pathology report in a few weeks. LOTS of pain tho. I couldnt believe it when the precription was for 95 percoset. Now, I do. After one night I think I'm going to ask for something stronger.

I wasn't 'home in one day'. I had surgery on Tuesday and was released on Thursday. One nurse did tell me that I probably had the fastest recovery that she had ever seen. The pain is getting much more manageable. I'm not taking the pill every two to four hours anymore. Yesterday I think I only took four of them out of a possible 8-10 that I could have taken. I've got my mind over the dull level 3 constant ache that I'm living with and therefore dont need meds to deal with that pain anymore. I'm certainly hoping the final pathology comes in negative - I actually hadn't even given any thought to the possiblilty that it could be positive at all. Today I plan on taking my first short walk outside the house. Hopefully I can do 1/4 mile for starters. I'm sure I'll sleep afterwards as I'm usually exausted after just a shower.