Dad is on a ventilator

Guest casey2693

Guest casey2693

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing to thank all of you for your kind replies to my posts. You are a wonderful group of people. My Dad was taken to the emergency room Tuesday afternoon because he just couldn't breathe. We were told that he has CHF and pneumonia again. Then this morning his left lung collapsed because it was filled with fluid. He started to panic because he couldn't breathe, and they right away said that they could intubate him and put him on a vent for a couple of days to help his breathing. This totally went against all of his wishes. He did not want to be on life support. But he chose the ventilator because he was affraid that he was going to die right there. This happened really early this morning when none of us were there. So they did a bronchoscopy and drained the lung and are hoping that this brings him some sort of relief, and they can take him off the vent. As of now, he is missing radiation and chemo. His radiation oncologist told him that this was the worst case of lung cancer he had seen in a long time, and if treatment was stopped right now, he would have less than a month. I'm hoping that his last few weeks can be comfortable. I know he does not want to live out the rest of his days in the hospital on life suppport.

Thank you again for all of you kindness.

Lisa

Oh Lisa,

I'm am so very sorry that your Dad has to go through this. My prayers are with you and your Dad as such a difficult time. I lost my Dad to NSCLC on 11-18-05 so I know exactly what your feeling and it's not good so please stay strong and be with your Dad as much as you can.

((()))Michele

Dad dx 4-1-05

passed away 11-18-05 only 66 years old :cry:

Hi Lisa,

What a scare for all of you. :shock: I know how he feels about a vent but he did the right thing, as he is not ready to leave yet.

They will wean him off and he will be much better.

We are always here for you.

Maryanne

Guest casey2693

Hi again,

Thank you all for your prayers. Last night when I left the hospital, my Dad's heart stopped. They were able to bring him back. Which was good, because my Grandmother, (his Mother) was able to see him last night and say good bye. Unfortunately, there is not much else they can do for him. My Mother is signing his DNR papers today. He was supposed to be coming off the vent today, but I don't think that will be happening. :( I just hope I can be there when the time comes. I want to say good bye. I don't want him to be alone when it happens. I'll keep all of you updated. And I will write again asking for some advice with a problem we had with his Oncologist.

Thanks again!

Lisa