Shoulder Pain

wendo1974

oh, and wendy, as for the timing of the CT's - my mother's surgeon told me that, at my age (34, 33 when I had the scan) a clean scan with no other symptoms can be repeated in 5 years. then, with my family history and history of smoking, closer together after 40 - unless, of course, I ever develop symptoms.

it's up to you, of course, but once a year is pretty often and there is a teeny bit of radiation in CT's. just my view.

xoxo

amie

Yes, I think this scan will be the definitive scan, and I will wait for a few years, unless a symptom would arise! Is it normal to feel this paranoid about having lung cancer? I thought I was invincible in my twenties, and now I feel like I am going to reap the reprocussions of what I have been doing.

I am so glad that there has been so much on the news and airwaves about LC, maybe now funders will start to pay attention and direct more assets to finding a cure and better meds. Both my parents suffered from cancer, not lung, but breast and advanced melanoma. Prior to that, there have been no cancers in our families. Even though most of my grandparents, and older aunts and uncles were smokers!! I wish I could win the lottery to help fund lc research and prevention or do something!!!! The only thing I do now is bug all my friends and co-workers and they are getting sick of me!!!!

can you take an honest answer? :D no, it's probably not normal, but it's not the end of the world, either.

I know I am prone to anxiety in a few different forms - one of them is that I become CONVINCED I have cancer of the [insert previously unimaged body part]. I have great docs (and a therapist) in my life who know this about me, and help me balance what needs to be followed up and what doesn't. if it starts running your life, talk to a therapist. otherwise, chalk it up to one of those quirky neuroses that make us individuals.

and don't ever, ever feel like you can't talk about it. you HAVE to talk about it.

in the meantime, you definately CAN do something. check out the activism forum, or start a walk in your area. write to congress. letters to the editor.

xoxo

bunny

Yep, I can take honest answers all day long! Everyone laughs at me!!!! I take it in stride, bc I know I have a problem, and deal with it by going to doctors about twice a month. That is my "therapy". Albeit expensive, it works! Like you, my docs are very supportive of me and pick and choose what they will investigate and what they say is a "NO WAY HOSE". I keep it in check most times, but sometimes my cup of worry runneth over. When I was 10 years old, I was convinced I had Down's Syndrome b/c of a PBS special. I was forbidden any medical books, tv shows, and sitting around old people talking about who's got what for a long long time.

Anyway, thats a little humor for the day.

Thank you all for your help, and I will update you on the CT results. Probably won't get them back till next week!!!!

Hi Wendy,

Boy, such a lot of worry and anxiety for one so young.

I noticed once I turned 30, it seemed like my body was just falling apart with all the new aches and pains and creaking and cracking. In my 20s I could dance on the bartops until dawn and still feel great the next day. Now I scrub a countertop for 5 minutes and my back and arms ache for a week. :lol:

Anyway I just wanted to chime in because I think you are doing the right thing to get this checked out, for no other reason than to put your mind at ease.

My husband was diagnosed with LC at the age of 31. He smoked less than a pack a day, usually only smoked when out with the guys on the weekends and maybe one or two on evenings after a stressful day. He quit smoking 3 years before diagnosis.

He too had a stabbing pain in his back in January 2003, after a trip to the ER they said it was pneumonia. By March 2003 they determined it was LC, but the back pain had gone away. It did show up on the January X-ray as dark masses which they assumed was fluid and therefore diagnosed the pneumonia. The CT scan is more decisive for accurate scans especially if it uses contrast dye. I've also heard that x-rays can miss tumors that are smaller which will show on a CT.

That being said, I also wanted to give you some hope that this may not be cancer at all. Your symptoms sound a lot like something I've been experiencing for the past 12 years. I have muscle knots that develop especially in the underside of the scapula of the back, the crook of my neck and shoulder area, and lower back. These are the basic areas that stress and tension are stored. By my problem is that these knots never go away so it is a constant pain in my back between the shoulders and my neck and shoulders. Additionally, I also have episodes where I can not draw in a full breathe and feel like I am gasping for air to satisfy me. It is because the muscles around the diaphram and around the ribs are so tight and tense the it isn't allowing for full expansion of the lungs. The reason I have these issues is because I suffer from Fibromyalgia. It is a muscular/ligament condition that is associated with muscle tension and knots, sleep difficulties, and joint pain. The diagnosis also identifies 17 specific points in the body that are connected to pain when pressure is applied. To be diagnosed with Fibromyalgia you do not have to experience all the 17 pain points but you would have to have at least a minimum of a certain number of the distinct locations. I had connections to 7 of them almost all of them in my back shoulder and neck regions.

Because of the muscle tension I too have poor posture. I mostly feel like it is just too hard and uncomfortable to sit up straight or stand straight. I usually sit in my chair curled up, legs tucked under me, or twisted to the side.

So, your description struck a cord with me, as it sounds very familiar to what I experience. It may not be Fibromyalgia, but it does sound like it could be a muscle tension problem.

But, since my husband's situation my opinion is now better safe than sorry. Get the CT scan, put your mind at rest and keep on top of your health because your health is your most valuable asset.

Until Next week when you get your good news of NO CANCER, I will keep you in my prayers!

Carleen

Carleen:

I just want you to know that you are my goddess! I have been following you for three years, and following your husband's unique situation for 3 years. I just want to tell you I think you are an amazing amazing woman (just like every woman here), but you struck me b/c you are so young and I can identify with you easier. Also, the love you have for Keith is akin to the love I have for mine! We also have been through grueling IVF treatments for 4 years, and no baby yet, but we are still trying!!! It is not easy, and I just can't believe your strength in combining the two. You are amazing! That aside, I have often wondered if I had FM. My grandmother had it, and I always have pain, joint pain, and pain in the crook of my arms, and in my back. Also aching muscles, when I haven't even done anything. I have been tested for MS as well, and they said I didn't have that, but certain things that MS people have I have. I could go on and on about the "things" that bother me, but there is not enough room. I have been tested, retested, for everything, and nothing is happening. So, I don't know what to do. Quitting smoking helped, also, I cut out most alcohol, and that helped a little. But, I think this CT scan will set my heart at ease a little bit, it will kind of give me a "full circle" with the whole smoking thing! My husband was a smokeless tobacco user, and he quit too! I am so proud of him for that! I have prayed for your husband numerous times, I just want you to know.

If you want to chat sometime, please send me an email. I am honored by your post!

Love in Christ, Wendy

Oh Wendy ~

Your story (about the PBS special) cracked me up... :lol: I'm just sorry you have to deal with so much worry so young...But you are NOT alone! I like Bunny's idea of channeling it into activism. Been thinking of the same, myself.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you good results next week - and CONGRATS on quitting smoking! I'll be sending up some prayers for success in the IVF dept. as well! :wink:

~Stacey

Dazy,

I could tell you stories that would have you rolling on the floor. I don't know why I am this way. When I was little I had appendicitis, and it was so bad that I was in the hospital for a month, and that is when it started, and I have been that way ever since. It's really not funny, but it is. My family and husband get a kick out of it!!! If you have ever seen the movie Bandits, with Billy Bob Thornton, thats me! I have right sided difficulties. Beavers and Ducks!!!!

Thanks for thinking of me, and I will be praying for you and your nodules!!!!!!

It has been 75 days since my last cigarette!!!Yippey!

Hi Dasy,

Been following your posts here and just want to say I pray that your CT will come out fine so you can finally relax. :shock: n

Just want you to know that I am thiking of you and wishing you well.

Maryanne :wink:

Oh Wendy, it really isn't funny - I know. But I'm glad you have learned to use laughter to lighten the load life deals us sometimes.

That early medical trauma I'm sure, is a large part of your latent fear. Sounds pretty "normal" to me, actually. Just glad you know how to keep it all in perspective.

Praying this fear will all be nothing but another laugh for you - and SOON!

:lol::lol::lol: Beavers and Ducks... :lol::lol::lol: You're a nut!! :wink:

YEAH FOR 75 DAYS!!!!

~Stacey

Just a quick update!

I got my CT Scan results back and they are 100% clear.

I am really happy about that. Its time to put this to rest. You guys are all fantastic, and I deeply appreciate your support from the bottom of my heart.

If I am still welcome here,I would like to hang around and be a friend.

Love You All,

Wendy

Non Smoker for 80 Days TODAY!

Congratulations, Wendy! I'm so glad you posted your update, and all's well. Yesterday I read this thread and saw that it had been a few days since you or anyone had left a message, and I was concerned about you and was hoping we'd hear from you again. I'm so happy that your test results were clear!

Oh, and great job quitting smoking! Keep up the good work