No Appetite and Constipation:

Fay A.

Constipation is very uncomfortable, and will destroy a persons appetite. Some things that might help are a prescription medication called MiraLax. You mix it in water or juice or coffee, and if stirred until completely dissolved there is no taste, nor grit. It leaves the drink slightly thickened, but it isn't bad at all. Just make sure you are taking a stool softener. The MiraLax will make things move, and it's easier on you if what is being moved is not hardened.

Fay A.

Guest Michael

Why medications? It has to do with not enough fiber. A good remedy is a good quality PSYLLIUM (Jason Winters is a good example). It can be purchased in any Health Food Store. Be sure to take it with LOTS of water. Best taken several hours after a meal. I would recommend the powder over tablets. I've been taking PHYLLIUM for years and have never suffered from constipation. Kelloggs (cereal company) makes a high fiber cereal that contains PSYLLIUM. You'll see the word PSYLLIUM written on the front of the box. It's the highest fiber cereal on the market. I strongly recommend this product in addition to the powder form.

Your suggestions are good for people who have a a usually normal functioning digestive system, but this is not the case when dealing with contstipation caused by medications or disease.

MiraLax is a prescription medication that is provided by a physician who has taken the time to evalute whether or not the lack of motility is caused by improper diet, medications, or a disease process.

I made the mistake of assuming that the problem was one of not enough fiber in my diet, when what I had was Crohn's Disease of the small intestine and colon, made worse by the use of narcotic pain meds after my surgeries. The high fiber caused gastric bleeding that left me anemic.

I assume that when someone posts about constipation in this forum they mean the kind that goes along with having cancer and it's treatments. And a lot of folks don't think about constipation being a factor in appetite suppression. Let's face it, it's a bit embarrassing talking about this kind of thng...but the truth is if we don't talk about it and we don't know about it how will we correct the problem?