newbie daughter of father with sclc

shellybug68

Just found this board and need some support. I am now taking care of my father in my home. This is all new to us since he was only recently diagnosed. I am still learning all the terms. So far the research on sclc I have done is pretty depressing and just need to know what I am looking at. I know it is different for everyone but I think hearing some other stories of others with this type of cancer will help me understand it. I am a very analytical type person and like to make sense of everything. My father is 60 and was a smoker for over 40 years and also worked as an auto mechanic being around asbestos for many years. He went into the emergency room for kidney stones and found out he has oat cell cancer of both lungs, AAA, and DVT. His Onc here referred us to hospice and it is my understanding that this is for the last six months of life so I am confused because Onc doesnt really give us a prognosis or any sort of time. I guess I am just lost as far as what is ahead and I like to know definate things. His doctor from up north and the hospital stated that his cancer had spreads to a tumor in his left side which is pressing on his lymph nodes and the iliac of his leg which isnt letting the blood clot in his leg go. He just had some more bone scans and CT scans and the Onc said that his cancer is shrinking but what does this mean? My father keeps talking like he is going to be cured and I hate being so pessimistic because usually I am optimistic but from what I have read, I dont think it goes away completely. Am I right?

Well dont want to go crazy on my first post so I just wanted to say hello and get the feel of being here. Take care all, Shelly

Shelly,

Welcome, sorry to meet you under these circumstances. This is a wonderful board. A great place to find hope and inspiration. I too was like you reading all I could on sclc and got very depressed. The best advice I can give you is to take it one day at a time. While the facts about sclc are that it spreads very fast, it also reacts very well to chemo. Don't let the doctors tell you how long your father has left, it's not their decision. Our primary doctor told us not to fight it, but here we are 5 months later and mom is doing pretty good. Everyone goes through their ups and downs. Just take each day as they come and don't worry about what might happen. The fact that you father has a positive attitude should help as well. Prayers are with you and your father.

Guest peggyd

Dear Shelly

One thing I have learned dealing with this for the past 5-6 months is that I try and get my information from this board (and people who have been there and know what's what) rather than from other web sights. I too was devastated reading the web about sclc. But my Mike is not a statistic and neither is your dad. The best thing is to take one day at a time. And if you have questions as things progress, post them on the board. You will be surrounded by people who are going through what you are going through, who have been through all phases of this disease. And most important people who care and are supportive. Our love to you and our prayers for your dad and your family.

Peggy

DO NOT give up hope! I was diagnosed Feb. 2001 with sclc (oat cell) and went thru 9 mos of chemo 1 year remission, then a relapse and I just finished 6 more mos of chemo. I am still here 2 yrs and 7 mos. later. I usually feel pretty good. I don't think I will ever be up to 100% but that is OK! The day they did the biopsies the surgeon told my family it was wide spread and with treatment maybe 6 mos. SO DO NOT give up hope. There are others here with similar stories. Tell hospice to take a hike!

Shelly,

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. If your father has a positive attitude and wants to fight, I think you should encourage that. It seems strange to me too that they would recommend hospice before any treatments were even begun unless there is a reason he can't have any treatments. SCLC often responds very well to chemo. Have you gotten a 2nd opinion? I'm glad that he has you to help him through this. Enjoy every day you have together and take it one at a time. None of us ever knows when our time is up.

Jenny

Shelly,

Don't give up hope at all. Look for a second opinion right away. I have sclc and it's been 1 1/2 years and today i'm fine. Also, remember no doctor can give you an answer as to how long you have - they don't know. But certainly, DON'T GIVE UP. Please read some of the posts under SCLC and you'll see that there is hope. Please keep us updated.

Joanie

I would change doctors!!!!

If the doctor is already talking hospice, he is not the doctor for you. You need to find an aggressive "ready to try everything" type of doctor and not some old doctor that is set in his/her way.

There is hope, and hope is available with a positive attitude and drive to get this taken care of.

Will be praying for you and your...

Hi,

There is a time and a place for Hospice but now may not be the time for your father to put himself into hospice. I believe everyone should try whatever treatment there is out there for them, whether it be radiation, chemo, surgery, etc. If and i say if, they fail, you will know, and that would be the time for hospice. You can always enter the hospice program so don't let the drs be in such a hurry.....the tumor shrinking is great...it might just shrink away.....

I agree -- switch doctors!

To give you more reason to be hopeful, I am in a support group with a wonderful woman. She was diagnosed w/ Extensive SCLC and was very scared by the depressing stats too. That was 5 years ago. She's doing fine, is cancer free and comes to the support group frequently as inspiration/motivation to "newbies". Have hope!

Welcome Shelly,

Sorry we have to meet under these circumstances. There are so many wonderful and inspirational people here to draw hope from.

So many people out there are too willing to throw in the towel before even beginning the fight. I don't know if its fear or laziness. But how can anyone ever win the battle if they don't even join the fight.

Its a hard journey, and unfortunately there are wonderful and loving people who are lost along the way, but there are those to make it through. Get a second opinion, and give your father the chance to be one of those survivors who inspires others with his story of how the doctors gave him no hope, but he overcame and proved them all wrong.

I will be praying hard for you

Carleen