chest ct scan...more

Don M

After the receptionist’s cryptic message, I went directly to the radiology department and got my report for the chest ct scan. The important part of the report reads, ”a 14 x 21 mm spiculated nodule, right upper lobe, suspicious for recurrent or metastatic disease”.

I am bummed, sad and angry all at the same time. Argh! If this is cancer, it will be the third frigging time. I was surprised the first time I got cancer, surprised the second time I got cancer, and surprised at this recent unfavorable report.

I am glad that I found out a day before my appointment. It gives me time to think about what I want to do. I would rather not have this news dropped on me when I visit the oncologist’s office.

Regarding the nodule, I have 3 things that point to it being malignant:

1. It is bigger than 1 cm.

2. It is spiculated

3. I have had cancer twice before

Sigh:

I am sure the next thing to do will be to get a PET scan.

One thing I wonder about is that the radiologist who did this report and the one before it, never made any notes about the ever present small nodules, 4 - 5 mm, I have had in my right lung since I first started ct scanning in Oct 2003. Earlier reports by other radiologists made note of these small nodules that never seemed to change, but he did not. One of the “small pleural based nodules” from an early scan was noted in my right upper lobe, the area where the spiculated nodule is located now. The nodule described in the most recent report is about 4 times the size of the smaller ones. Hmmm.

If the PET scan is positive, I think am going to pursue a wedge resection or radio frequency ablation followed by chemo. I want to be able to spend the rest of my life being reasonably active, and I doubt I could do it with one half of my right lung.

I am pretty sure that if it is malignant, it is a new primary.

Well, tomorrow I get to talk to the oncodoc all about it. I think I will act real innocent and let him drop it on me. I will practice my mouth going agape before I go in there.

Don M

Geez, Don :cry: . This book for life sure has its share of injustices and not fairs in it, ya know? Well, of course you know this! I am SO hoping that this is simply an error in the wording of the report. I've got my prayer cap on, Don. Just want to hear it's another of those 'nothing' type nodules.

Will be thinking of you all day!

Kasey

Boy, Don.

I am proud of you for being on top of your game. But, not what anyone wants to read in a report. So sorry you have to go through this again. I will say one thing though, you still have a good sense of humor about you. And you are smart. If there are choices to be made, there is no doubt that you will make the best ones for you.

I have my apt. later this aft. .... ??? We shall see.

Waiting to hear how your apt. went.

Cindi o'h