I'm back

I was on here awhile ago after finding out my mom has lung cancer. At that time I didn't know much about her condition. Getting information out of her has been difficult because she knows what a rough time I am having with this, especially because I am her "baby" and I live in Arkansas and she lives in Michigan. Luckily I have two older sisters who live there also plus my stepdad. My mom has a very large tumor on her right lung and has spread and is attached to her collarbone. She had her first three chemo treatments last week. The first time it lasted almost 8 hours. Is this normal? Two days ago she started complaining of having a headache and feeling sick. Yesterday when she visited the doctor she began feeling very light headed. The doctor admitted her into the hospital because she said her sodium was low. She was admitted into the ICU. Why would they do this and is this the norm? My sister said that my mom seemed confused almost as if she didn't recognize my sisters. I am very scared and upset. I would appreciate any help or advice about this disease as possible. All I know is that it is a large tumor in the lung and up to the collarbone, it is small cell cancer and that she has just had 3 chemo treatments and will go for more the first of September.

Thank you for listening to me :cry:

Micki27,

I do believe that chemo can cause a lot of problems and this could be a side effect hitting her. I know when he had his first round of chemo they lasted 5 1/2 hrs. one day we were there 7 hours because of the confusion going on in the office and the nurses not doing their jobs. they seemed to be to busy entertaining. Also he see his dr first before the treatments start so that is another hour. Now his treatments only last 1 1/2 to 2 hours and he gets them every 3 weeks.

Yesterday while he was getting hooked up for his treatment, one of the patients had a reaction to the treatment she was getting and they rushed her to the ER. I guess you will have to wait to see what your sisters can tell you. It is very hard being apart from a loved one when something like this is happening but I am sure your sisters and stepfather will do for your mom as you would be doing if she lived near you. Hang in there, this is going to be a roller coaster ride from quiet some time....

Micki,

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. From my experience it is very normal for the first chemo to last 8 hours. They have to monitor you very closely to ensure no reactions. My mom has had 11 chemo treatments and they seem to last 5 to 6 hours, because of the cancer clinic being busy, taking a long time to get blood results, getting the chemo drugs, etc. Also, my mom hasn't had any problems with sodium levels, but I know I have read that a lot of other people here have had those problems and it can cause confusion. I will keep your mom in my prayers for positive thoughts. Hang in there!!

Dear Micki27,

Welcome, but i'm sorry you're here. However, there are many people here who will give you knowledge and emotional support along the way. I was diagnosed with small cell in April of 2002. At that time i would have chemo treatments that required i be in the hospital for three days, every three weeks. The treatment itself lasted about 6 or 7 hours. Also they sometimes give other medicines during chemo that could cause confusion. Try and get as much info as possible from your family as to what they plan for treatments (radiation?). Hang in there. We're all here for you.

Joanie

I agree with the others. Every chemo agent has a different infusion time and many side effects. 2 yrs. ago the cisplatin I received kept me in the hospital overnight. The other one camptosar was a quick one. This go around I am on different ones with different infusion times. Keep us updated.