Update (The Nuts And Bolts)

dadstimeon

Hi All!

First I want to thank everyone for your kinds words, well wishes and prayers. I am very blessed to have so many caring people in my life. Well here's the story. Did take a minor heart attack but no damage to my heart. Because my platelets dropped about 3 weeks ago to 4000 due to my (that goes back to 1979) ITP, was taken off of Aspirin and Plavix to avoid further problems which ended up resulting in my minor heart attack. Now we know in the future not to stay off for so long. Right now the game plan is to medically treat my heart problem and I can resume all my medications. Have to still deal with my ITP. On Prenisone to bring the platelets back up but as I taper off they are going back down so that will take a while to resolve and am hoping it resolves on it's own like it has in the past. Well that is about it for now. Again thank you everyone.

Rich

SPIRITS ARE GOOD!

Hi Ginny--It's a blood disorder, had to have my spleen out in 79. So it acts up every now and then. This is what they think trigged my heart attack. Also makes treating my lung cancer tricky. My oncologists has her work cut out with me for sure. Rich

Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) is a disorder of the blood--Immune refers to the immune system's involvement in this disorder. Antibodies, part of the body's immunologic defense against infection, attach to blood platelet, cells that help stop bleeding, and cause their destruction. Thrombocytopenia refers to decrease in blood platelet. Purpura refers to the purplish-looking areas of the skin and mucous membranes (such as the lining of the mouth) where bleeding has occurred as a result of decreased platelet.

Some cases of ITP are caused by drugs, and others are associated with infection, pregnancy, or immune disorders such as systemic lupus erythematosus. About half of all cases are classified as "idiopathic," meaning the cause is unknown.

Rich,

My uncle has ITP and I hate it. He's been on steriods for over 15 years. Never sees counts above 55k.

I am so very glad that you are better. Please let your family fuss over you while you recuperate!

Much love,

Eppie

PS....you are forbidden to shovel tonight. Forbidden!

Rich so glad you are home and back on the board with us and no heart damage, all of this is wonderful news. We missed you. Please take care. Donna G

So good to see you back, Rich. I also am in the Mended Hearts Club. I am on Plavix as well but can't take aspirin (not even low dose) since it interferes with stopping bleeding in my radiated prostate. Go figure that Plavix is okay, but aspirin is not. Just shows each person has to find what is right for him. Blad you are back and healing. Don