What can I expect?

micki27

My mother found out she had cancer about 4 to 6 weeks ago. It started in her lung, spread up to her collarbone and down into her abdomen. The doctor said it was small cell and was fast growing (unsure of exactly what kind of cancer.) She has had 3 chemo treatments so far. Her sodium level was too low so she was admitted into the hospital yesterday after complaining of headache and light headedness.

My sisters and I are worrying ourselves sick over this because my mother is in denial and won't ask the questions that we need answers to. We just want to know what we can expect from this and how we can try to help our mother.

Thanks for listening. :cry:

Micki,

This is definitely a difficult time that is for sure. For me, I have a hard time with the loss of control and feeling helpless. To help me feel better, I started educating myself...reading up on Non Small Cell Lung Cancer (not the depressing statistics though), I ask questions of the group here and I ask my mom's doctor all kinds of questions. My mom doesn't have the energy to research or ask much, so I feel I am her advocate and help with this. If she is suffering from a certain symptom I ask people here for help and information, then I print it off and give it to my mom. Everyone here is GREAT, supportive and lots of help. My mom gave the okay to her oncologist for me to contact him directly, if I have any questions. Will your mom let you do this? It can be very helpful. If you have any questions, please send me a message. All my best to you. This is certainly a tough journey.