An update on mom today

Lori.. I am so happy for you that your heart felt light. Your mom sounds great. I hope that you can get her home soon so there will be no more medical mix ups...

I pray that your SF will wake up and see what is going on and do the right thing.

Prayers,

Kim

Lori,

I am so glad to hear that your mom is doing well.

That meds mix-up is horrible: where I come from, aides never give meds, only nurses -- I don't see why you wouldn't be able to insist on that even if the facility doesn't always do that as "standard practice." (although I can't imagine that at all).

Medical mistakes cause more serious problems for patients than whatever the problem is that the patient has -- I read that long ago and swear it's true when I see how overextended and short-handed hospitals and other medical facilities are these days around here. Had my fair share of checking out meds mistakes too in my past -- you're right on to watch and don't give it a second thought about setting up whatever checks and balances you want at the facility to be sure things like this don't happen again. I've done the same thing as a preventative measure from past experience and the staff has welcomed it and appreciates family being involved that way....at least in front of me, they do.

You're also right on to think ahead about the insurance issue, especially if it's Medicare you have to deal with, but it looks like your mom is too young for Medicare to be an issue -- coverage "rules" don't always fit the individual circumstances (i.e. "the big picture") -- my mom got kicked off her Medicare eligibility too fast due to that sort of thing. These things are win-able with enough perserverance, I am sure.

All the best,

Linda

Just a quick update for today. There was a virus going around the nursing home and guess who got it-my mom and my 5 year old son. The last few days were terrible. I couldn't come to work, Graden had stuff coming from each end, so did mom. We weren't able to see her and that made me crazy. Can you imagine puking with stitches in your head, especially since her head is one big stitch these days..

Fortunately, I am glad to report that mom is at therapy as I type this, so she is feeling better. AHHHHHHHHH Sigh of relief...

I HATE THAT NURSING HOME!!!

P.S. My mom has private insurance.