My dad was diagnosed with NSCLC

robynmark

My dad was diagnosed with NSCLC this week. He had lung cancer 16 years ago and had his lung removed. The tumors never came back until now. He starts chemo on Tuesday. He will also have a MRI on the brain on Tuesday as well. I don't know what the success rate on chemo and NSCLC. Doesn't anyone else know?

Robyn

Welcome Robyn,

I am so sorry you are going through this again with your dad. I don't know the published statistics on NSCLC and chemo, but I generally try and not look at those things. The statistics are based on old data and results from years ago. Currently there are much better drugs and treatments available, making the number of people exceeding the statistics skyrocket. I know that on this site alone there are quite a few members with NSCLC receiving treatment and keeping their disease stable and even regressing it and acheiving NED status.

I hope all goes well on Tuesday, and I will keep your dad in my prayers.

Robyn,

Im sorry to hear about your dad's dx. I don't really have the statistics on chemo and NSCLC but I think you should dwell on numbers. I think everyone's case is different and those numbers are not taking your dad's case into consideration.

I'll be adding ya'll to my prayer list and keep us updated when you know more.

Hugs,Beth

You dads treatments be it operable or chemo will depend on his situation and his stage. You said he had this years ago. I am so sorry he is going through this again.

There are many treatments out there, they just have to find the one that will work for your dad.

Keep us posted, we are here for you.

Maryanne

Robyn:

I am sorry your dad got lung cancer again. Especially after 16 years....what a bummer! Treatments these days can hold the cancer at bay for a very long time.

I have just one lung now and I may have another tumor in my remaining lung. If it is the only place where the cancer is, I plan to have it removed by cyberknife. I think one would qualify for cyberknife if the tumor is smaller than 3 cm and there is just one. Beyond that, and they may not do it. So, if your dad's cancer is still contained in his lung, and it is not big yet,he might try cyberknife.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?f=6

Statistics and numbers do not really matter much to a lot of people just like odds on things. Treatment is a lot different than it was 16 years ago. Always think positive and keep us posted. will be praying for you and dad.

Welcome. So sad the monster started again after so long. They say that once you have had lung cancer you always remain at higher risk for a new tumor than the general public. Which lung did he have removed the first time, left or right? Praying that all other screening tests are negative. Please keep us posted on how he does with chemo. Donna G