My father

shaw324

:cry:

Hi my name is Lisa,

My father was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Lung Cancer on Jan 5 of this year. The Dr's said he had stage 1a lung cancer. A small tumor in his lower lobe of his left lung. After biopy's and a pet scan they said his best chance was to have the tumor removed with surgery. On Feb 15 the surgury was preformed only to find out that he had more cancer in him then they thought. He had two tumors in his lung and his lymph notes in his lung and on the outside of his lungs were infected. We are going on three weeks tomorrow and the chest tube is still in him from the drainage from surgury.He is really weak. They said he is in stage 3b now. They want him to do chemo and radiation together. As soon as possible. He is having a hard time bouncing back from the surgery. His lungs are not healthy. Im scared what chemo and radiation will do to his body. He is not sure if he is even going to do it. Im so angry scared and confused. He is my world. Im trying to be stong for him but it is so hard. This is all so new to me and I don't know much about it or the treatments. I just don't know the right answers to tell him. He is so unsure of the chemo and radiation and if he is strong enough to do it. When Im not with him I find myself on my computer searching for answers Im not even sure I can find.

Welcome Lisa and I am glad that you found us. There is a wealth of support here for you. I am not sure what to tell you other than maybe to read some of the other people's profiles who have that stage and worse and how they are doing. Maybe it would help your Dad to know that there is hope. I feel so bad for all involved. How you must really love your Dad. Maybe your Dad feels hopeless and wants to give up or something. What do the drs say? Seems like a long time to have that chest tube in-it's the drainage kind, right?

Wishing the best for you and your Dad. Keep in touch...Patty

Lisa,welcome to our support family.You will find many knowing and caring people here.

I have squamous also and have had surgery,laser surgery,chemo and radiation.It is a sometimes rough road to hoe but in my own situation it has prolonged both my life and my quality of life considerably.

Everyones reactions to chemo and radiation are usually different.Several of our members have breezed thru it with very little trouble.

lisa- im so sorry to hear about your dad. I know its so hard to be strong. My whole life my dad was a pillar of strength and I hated watching him get weak. Anyway, if you want to ask any questions or talk PM anytime. I know every situations different and don't let the doctors predict your dad's future because that's not their job. Try and hang in there and remember NEVER NEVER give up.

Hugs,Beth

Chemo and radiation gav eme almost 3 more years with Deb before she passed. Welcome and we will help any way we can.

Welcome Lisa,

I really don't have any answers for you but I'm sure you will find someone here that can help you out.

I will keep your Father in my prayers!!

My Father was the world to me too, so I know how scared you are but be there for him and encourage him always.. ((((hugs)))

Michele

Lisa--

Welcome. I am also in Michigan. Where are you in Michigan and where is your dad being treated? The University of Michigan has a lung cancer clinic you may want to seek a second opinion from. How old is your dad? He may be able to withstand the treatment protocol depending on how fast he rebounds from surgery.

Rochelle

Hi Lisa: I hope your dad recovers soon from surgry. I think doing the chemo and radiation may be his best chance to whack the cancer way back, maybe even show no evidence of disease. It is a very rigorous treatment though. It is hard for some and not so hard for others. Just help your dad focus on getting out of the hospital and healed from surgry for now. Treatment decisons can be put off for a little while.

Don M

Welcome, Lisa. So sorry to hear about your dad. All I can offer is that I've gone through 35 sessions of radiation and about a dozen or so rounds of chemo and I feel great. Surgery is not an option for me, but the combo of chemo and radiation has done wonders. Praying for you and your dad.

Trish

:)

Wow! I can't believe all the support I have found here! Thank you to everyone! Today is a good day. They removed the tube! He is really weak today, but hopefully now he can start to heal. He has no desire to eat so I bought him two cases of Ensure. The Dr's were giving him that in the hospital. He needs his strength back really bad. We talked alittle bit more about Chemo and radiation. They already marked him for the radiation and the Dr said today they want to start in 2-3 weeks. I think he is going to do it. He recieved a prayer blanket yesterday from his cousin that was made from the ladies at his church, he was so touched.The support and prayers from everyone helps so much. He is going to be 65 in August and I can't wait to celebrate with him! Thank you again to each and everyone of you. I think this Support Group was just what I needed to give me the strength and to pass it on to my father!

Hello Lisa,

Another welcome.

You will find a lot of support in this group.

Questions will be answered and also questions will

be asked.

To go with the prayer blanket I will send him

prayers.

He should take his blanket fo the treatmets

I think it will be ok with the treatment center.

Jackie

Hi Lisa,

Welcome here, you certainly came to the right place.

I am soooo glad your dad finally had the chest tube taken out. Have confindence in the doctors as they seem to have a plan.

And you WILL be around for his 65th birthday!! One day at a time. You will feel better once he starts his treatments. It will take time and may seem in the beginning that it is not working, then all of a sudden there is shrinkage. Have faith in that. And even if the treatment does not work, then they will try another until they find the one that will work. Try not to worry too much. LC is not death sentence as there is so many more treatments now then ever before.

Keep the faith. The prayer blanket was such a beautiful gesture that seems to work for you dad.

Hang in there, you are a wonderful daughter. I can see how much you love your dad.

If you have questions, ask away.

Maryanne

Hello Lisa and Welcome,

I hope that your dad can have the chemo and radiation. I had them both at the same time and it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Actually I was not really thinking, I was just fearful. It is a curative procedure for many people.

Prayers