cancer in the genes?

nikkala

Yesterday while watching some of the Dana Reeve coverage I saw a discussion about genes and lung cancer. Having lost most of my family to LC I decided to hop on the net and see what I'd find which brought me to this article about genes and lung cancer http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/0 ... 5main.html

There was a spot to the right that said families needed for gene study to help identify this gene. I clicked on it and got this site http://www.eh.uc.edu/gelcc/

where I could apply having lost multiple immediate family members all to LC. I sent them my info yesterday and got a reply today saying I will hopefully be able to do it. They are mailing me some questionnaires.

While I do believe smoking and other exposures cause cancer I also see SOO many people on here that have lost multiple family members to this dreaded disease which really makes me think it has to be about the genes. I would participate in a second if they will allow me. How do you others with multiple losses feel about this?

That is an excellent study that started here at the University of Cincinnati just prior to Bill's diagnosis. Several of Bill's cousins are participating as he lost his father and 4 paternal uncles all to lung cancer and most of them prior to age 50. I really believe that some lung cancers are genetic.

Good luck in the study.

I do believe that some families, through gene pool, are, as Katie put it, predisposed to cancer. It does not mean a particular person will get cancer, but if the gene is there, they are more susceptible to getting it, other factors also involved. It would be good to join such a study and help science move forward. Don

I also believe cancer is genetic. Not just lung but "cancer" in general. We have a lot of cancer in our family, all different kinds. I think if even one person is diagnosed with any type of cancer in your family you should be more diligent about your health care. Just my opinion.

Zoey :roll:

This is an excellent study, Nikkala. As you know, I have lost most of my Dad's side of the family to LC - primarily adeno/adeno with BAC features. I do believe there is a genetic factor which predisposes some to develop LC (as well as other cancers), and hopefully through registries such as these, they will establish the link, someday. I entered my Dad's family line through a similar registry, some time ago. I will check to see if it is the same one.

Hope all is well with you, Nik. Good work!! :wink:

Yours in HOPE!

Stacey