Steady decline

NancyT

Its seems whenever I post...my news is always sad. My Dad just gets weaker by the day and I wonder why such a wonderful man has to suffer like this, it really breaks my heart. I try so hard to cheer him, yesterday I brought out old pictures and we laughed....and then cried. I do think he enjoyed going through some great memories, I am just at a loss of how to bring him any comfort. He is having a difficult time talking now and is getting very quiet. He is not in physical pain, I am very grateful for that, its getting harder to do anything for him that he may enjoy. I have tried music,reading, but he really just wants to stare at the TV. I feel helpless....this is so very painful

NancyT

sweetie, you post any time you need to, sad or otherwise. it's what we're here for. I am so, so sorry to hear of your dad's decline. I figured out a long time ago that LC has nothing to do with the quality of person who gets it - no one deserves it. it's a tragedy, every single time it hits.

I can only imagine your pain. stay close.

xoxo

amie

Nancy,

Sometimes just being there is the best thing.

Relating old memories is a good thing. Giving a back or foot massage is nice, too. maybe ou can read to him or share an old movie with him.

Anyhow, you are doing the right things, and I'm sure he knows how mch you love him and want to help.

So sorry you are going through this.

~Suz

Dear Nancy,

I wish I could do something to help you get through this. All I can do is send you my prayers for strength to get through this.

Just being with him is helping in his transition.

Hang in there.

Maryanne

(((Nancy)))

I am so so sorry that you are having such a difficult time,It's really stinks to watch someone you love suffer. Just be there with him as much as you can I'm sure that's what will make him happy.

I would give ANYTHING to have 5 minutes with my Dad.

I miss him so much! So be there while you can. :cry:

Many hugs

Michele

Oh Nancy - I am so sorry, but just being there does so much. He is quiet because he is weak and may also just be doing alot of thinking (at least my mom did) She was very quiet for 2-3 days and then seemed very at peace when she spoke with us all...it waslike she had to go away for a while and completely come to terms with everything that was happening...and she did.

Love to you,

Holly

Nancy,

My heart just broke when I read your email. Just being there sharing time with Daddy is the very best thing you can do now... and even if he is not speaking... I am sure he is so grateful to have you by his side. I found my Dad's mind would kind of "wander".... I think he was making peace in his own mind. How wonderful that you got to share some memories that you two have together. These are the times that will carry you through later on.... hang on to them. Love, Sharon

Dear Nancy,

Just being having you there must mean the world to him. When my mother was dying, a usually very undemonstrative woman seemed to take some real comfort from just holding my hand. Just keep being there -- and talking to him, even if he doesn't respond much. He won't miss it, even if he seems to. And there's no harm in keeping on attempts with reading and music -- I did that also, even when my mother didn't seem to care much one way or the other. And afterwards, she seemed to smile a bit more.

The tv is a great escape -- it takes people away from what is surrounding them (death and wellmeaning relatives, doctors and friends) and allows them to come out when they choose to, so that is probably a reason why it is so welcome. That doesn't mean that your father wouldn't also appreciate the other things, and above all, your company and love and reassurance.

I'm thinking of you as you go through this painful time; just know that your Dad must be very, very glad that you're there to go through it with him.

Ellen

Hi Nancy: I am sorry you have to watch your dad's decline. I think the good moments you had looking at the pictures was nice. Just try to be with him as you can. Look for other oppportunities to have special moments. You and your dad have my prayers.

Don M