Some Questions

Guest Jensunflower

Guest Jensunflower

I am 29 yr okd female, smoked for 16 years, and on 02/24/06, I had a bronchoscopy done. They found epithelial lesions in the bronchial tract with kulchitsky cells, so they scheduled me for endoscopic removal via laser, which happened 03/09/06. On 03/13/06, I started GemCarbo chemotherapy. Can someone please tell me if their own experience with lung cancer or lesions moved this fast? My oncologist told me that it is rare for lung cancer to be caught in the stage mine was caught in, and that I have an excellent 5 yr prognosis, but it's best to move on it right away. How come I can't find any information on anyone else with lesions? Is this a rare thing? And is my treatment plan a normal one for lung cancer caught in the early stage like mine was? I am just scared, I am a divorced mom of two, and my boyfriend in military, in Korea until July 2007. I feel like everything has happened so fast, tehre was little time to prepare, and I have been unable to find someone else anywhere with experince with lesions.

I cannot answer about your lesions, but I can say hello. My doctors moved quickly too, but not quite that fast. And I am approaching my 5 year mark next month.

Other people on the board are better researchers then I am. Hopefully someone will have better answers for you.

Stay close by.

gail

Hi Jen: I think it must be rare because this is the first I have heard of it in my time on this board. The important thing is that your docs say you have an excellent chance at a cure.

I googled "kulchitsky cells" and was led to the following link:

http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic403.htm

You have to register to read the full article. It appears to be a pretty good site for info, but some of it is pretty technical. Don't get too hung up on what it says, it is full of medical jargon, but take comfort in that your docs say that it is highly likely that you will be cured.

I decided to point out the site to you because some people, like me, like to know as much about their disease as possible.

It says that bronchial carcinoid tumors are rare.

Don M

Guest Jensunflower

Thank you to you both for taking the time to respond. I have actively been seeking others like myself, and have come to the conclusion that I am a rarity, and now going to just seek support. I also am on GemCarbo, and it has been quite interesting to say the most. I was originally on etoposide, but developed toxicity, so I was removed off that after my surgery.

That is good it was found so early. The web says Kulchitsky cells originate from neuroendocrine cells.

Neuroendocrine lung cancers exhibit a large range of aggressiveness.

SCLC, large cell carcinoma, atypical carcinoid, and carcinoid are all neuroendocrine lung cancers.

Since your doctor recommended chemo, your type is most likely SCLC or large cell. Carcinoids are not supposed to repond well to chemo since they are slow growing.

Since it is caught so early that is good and very unusual. I guess the chemo choice is GemCarbo versus VP16/Cisplatin since the side effects are less? Something you could ask your Dr if you want

I am not Dr.

If you have any concerns get a 2nd opinion or ask your current Dr.

Take care

Jen,

Welcome.

I may be wrong but I think you have

in situ papillary bronchial carcinoma.

This is a very early stage and in situ

means it is contained not spread.

Very good outlook.

You will be the one telling us after

you learn more, always ask questions

and have a list ready when you see

the doctors that treat you.

Good luck and tell us more.

Hugs

Jackie

Guest Jensunflower

Well, I have survive my first round of GemCarbo, and can look at this rationally now. I spent several sessions with a therapist that specializes in oncology cases, and am starting to actually accept that this is indeed happening to me, and be able to actually hear what the doctors are saying now. I laid out everything in a timeline, and realized it really hasn't been as fast as it seems, I've just been incredibly overwhelmed.I spent a long time with my oncologist as well, getting answers that I probably had before, but was in this mind-numbing fog so I needed to hear them again. The bronchial adenomas saved my life- if they hadn't shown up on the CT scan when I had my car accident, then they never would have done the bronchoscopy and the lesions would neevr have been found until they were tumors and far beyond the early stage they were caught in. My dr. told me that the reason I can't find soemone else with early stage bronchial cancer is because it usually doesn't exist, most DX come at a much later stage. So I continue to gather information, persevere on, and just cope day to day... I continue to work full time, which is a joke because my boss has been quite self serving (how is this going to affect MY business) and go to schoool full time, and play with my kids all the time- never has movie & a pizza night been such an important thing to me... And my boyfriend is in Korea and I find myself sending him emails all the time now- I just want to be in touch... living with this DX changes you, doesn't it...

I too, had my lung cancer found very early, and it was only because of the breast cancer history. I too was told "we don't find lung cancer as good as yours"

HUH? :roll: good lung cancer?

So I enlisted the services of a women's cancer psychologist, and 5 years later (YEAH) I am still seeing her. I have also been on antidepressents since. Sometimes I still have trouble living with a "good lung cancer".

I found Dr Bernie Siegel's books to be very helpful. His "Love medicine and Miracles" is the one I started with.

gail

I too, had my lung cancer found very early, and it was only because of the breast cancer history. I too was told "we don't find lung cancer as good as yours"

HUH? :roll: good lung cancer?

So I enlisted the services of a women's cancer psychologist, and 5 years later (YEAH) I am still seeing her. I have also been on antidepressents since. Sometimes I still have trouble living with a "good lung cancer".

I found Dr Bernie Siegel's books to be very helpful. His "Love medicine and Miracles" is the one I started with.

gail

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jensunflower
:( I am frustrated; I never thought I would be mad that I couldn't take treatment, but I just want this OVER... I am having problems with my kidneys not flushing so I keep developing toxicity; I see the endocrinologist on Friday. They are talking possible dialysis for the duration of treatment to help my body flush- is this normal? Did anyone else have toxicity issues that became severe?

Certain chemos are worse than others. I think Cisplatin is one of the worst on the kidneys.

Carboplatin is a platinum based chemo like cisplatin so that i guess is causing your renal toxcity.

I read that hydration is important and sometimes lasix is used to increase urine output.

I have read dialysis is only used in severe cases.

Maybe another chemo will be tried that is less toxic to the kidneys?

Try this Link for some information.

Click below on Link

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-024.shtml

If you have some time and are eager to do some reading this might help. Good info on different Chemo treatment Drugs

Click On This Link

http://www.pjonline.com/pdf/hp/200504/h ... herapy.pdf

Guest Jensunflower

Well, I finally have some answers. I am on lithium, which is what is actually causing the stress on my kidneys, because lithium combined with the chemo is more that my body can tolerate. They are taking me off lithium, and going to start Abilify and Seroquel, and hopefully, that should reduce the issues with my kidneys. I go back for more blood work on Thursday, and find out if I can take treatment on Friday. Fingers crossed- and praying for God's will to be done.