Dad diagnosed 2 months ago

paulygirl

Hi everyone, I just found this board and have been snooping around! :lol: Anyways, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My dad,68, was just diagnosed 2 months back with NSCLC 111b.

He seems to have gone way downhill since then. First hospitolazation to drain fluid from lungs/chest. Second time one week later with extreme low blood pressure and rapid heartbeat. This was after first round of radiation. After his first round of chemo, he had one great day and then ended back in hospitol with no white blood cells, pnuemonia, and 2 bacterial infections that had entered his bloodstream. Again, rapid heartbeat.

Yesterday, we were able to take

dad home, infections gone, still some pneumonia. He's on oxygen at night and some breathing treatments.And has decided to continue with chemo in a few weeks.

I just can't believe how quickly this desease takes over. My poor dad has lost so much weight, can talk, but his breathing is labored....the list goes on and on.

I forgot to mention, his cancer is inoperable because of the size and location(between both lungs, very large, etc...)There were also cancer cells found in his chest wall.

Im so scared, I dont want him to suffer.It seems like every day is something new.

Mabey, Im not making much sense right now, my mind is all over the place.

I guess I just wanted to say Im glad I fdound this place and Im hoping to better learn how to help my parents throughthis.

My best to each and every one of you!

Welcome. Boy he does sound like he has been throught the mill. Can he drink Boost? At least it has some calories and vitamins in it. Keep us posted. Donna G

Hi Pauly,

I just wanted to welcome you. I know how scared a daughter can be..My dad went through the same thing last year. Pneumonia and low blood count which he had to skip a chemo treatment. Just hang in there!

We are here for you.

love,

jorja

Welcome. I am sorry about your father. My husband is also inoperable but is now into his 4th year after diagnosis. The treatment is hard but once he gets through it hopefully the tumor will be much smaller and he will have some good days ahead. Make sure he drinks lots of fluids, it will help with the chemo and keep him from getting dehydrated.

Rochelle

Thankyou all so much for your very kind replies. Im going to be going over to my parents soon to check out his new haircut! He's decided to buzz it away because all we need to do to find him is follow his hair clumps on the floor!

So far, he's been ok at home these past two days. His doctors have put him on a blood thinner to hopefully deter clots, and he will have his first visit with a visiting nurse today to keep check on his vitals.

You are a great special group of people, Im so glad I found you!

Thankyou for giving me not only support, but hope as well!

My very best,

Welcome,

Sorry about your father, but already

some good steps were done to help him,

at home you will be able to help him

with food and drinks (he needs) and

with a visiting nurse you will be able

to see what can be done for him.

Keep us posted on the visit.

Jackie

Welcome: I am sorry your dad has to deal with the lung cancer. I think the pneumonia and infections are treatment related. Once he gets through treatment, he will hopefully have shrunk or stopped the cancer. I hope the best outcome for your dad.

Don M

Hi Paulie,

So sorry for all you poor dad is going through. I pray for him to get his strength back and then he will feel much better.

I know how scared you are. We have all walked in your shoes. Please know that LC is not a death sentence as there are so many treatments now.

Keep the faith, as it can and has moved many a mountain.

Sending prayers out to your dad.

Keep us posted, we are always here for you.

Maryanne

Welcome Pauly.

Glad that you found us. Most anything that your Dad goes through, there should be someone who has gone through the same thing here and can offer their own experience.

You are not alone.

Cindi o'h

ps...Rich is going to need you for the lc walk next Fall! :D

Hi -

I am so sorry that you and your family have to go through this. Although this disease can move so quickly, remember that infections can also be treated quickly...so just because your dad is having some bad days, it doesn't mean that there will not be great days ahead.

Please keep us posted. There are too many daughters on this message board who understand what it is like to see a parent deal with LC. We are all here to help you.

Holly

Again, thankyou so much to all of you wonderful people!

Things are still very "iffy" with Dad right now.

He had a doctors appt early this morning to do a blood check. He was taken off of all blood thinners last week because it was thinning his blood too much, so now its being checked every week.I think on Friday it was 6.1

Anyways, its 12:00 pm now and Ive still heard nothing, so needless to say, Ima bit antsy. The past two days havn't been good. Dads been more quiet, distant, just not himself. He's still very weak...I dont know, what can I say? I just want him to get better or have some good days.

Thanks again

To help with weight GAIN there is an ensure weight gain formula or think Heavy cream soups. Welcome to the group and Just ask. We can all help I kike to think.