Introduction

Hi, my name is Barbara, I am 52 and was DX 2-27 with lung cancer, got my PET scan results back today and can not have surgery as it has spread to my lymph nodes. I have an appt. with an Oncologist tomorrow and of course am so scared. My only treatment options are chemo and radiation. I am really concerned because I have many autoimmune diseases, fibromyalgia, hashimotos thyroiditis,ulcerative colitis and several others. I am on Imuran and many other meds, the Imuran already suppresses my immune system and I have to take it for the UC or it will flare again, in remission from that for the moment. I am not sure what ? to ask the Dr. but am making a list to take with me. My only child is getting married April 15, and this has been so heartbreaking for all of us, he is being a real trooper but it breaks my heart to see him cry. I refuse to start any treatment until after the wedding, I don't want to risk being sick. I guess like everyone else here I would love to hear from anyone that has had success with this treatment, my tumor is between a stage 111A and 111B and is almost 4cm. that is really all I have been able to retain. I have been angry, and depressed then hopeful and now am going thru the same emotions again, I really thought I would just be able to have surgery and it would all be over with. Thanks for listening. Gentle Hugs

Hi Barbara,

I'm sorry you had the need to find us, but I am glad you did. I too was a Stage IIIA-B when I was diagnosed 10-1/2 years ago.

I had surgery and my cancer had spread to two of my lymph nodes as well, and they removed them along with my entire left lung. :roll::wink: I did radiation and chemo all at the same time and the rest is history. Here I am 10+ years later. :wink:

I would ask your doctor if they shrink your tumor could they then do surgery? My doctor's have said not all surgeons are aggressive when it comes to doing surgery for Stage IIIA-B patients. I just don't understand why they can and did do surgery on me with lymph node involvement, but I know of many they don't do surgery. I would at least ask your doctor. You might want to ask what kind of lung cancer you have. There are several different ones that fall under the Non Small Cell Type.

I had Andenocarcinoma.

Please know that there really are a lot of lung cancer survivors and long term ones at that! Lung Cancer can be beat.

I hope you'll stay with us and let us offer some support and helpful hints when you need them.

I just wanted to welcome you here and just want you to know that you will find loads of support here. I am a relatively new person here myself -- a caregiver of a non-operative stage IIIb LC patient (my mom). I think Connie's response to you says it best so far, 'cause even I am not gonna' accept the "inoperative" diagnosis with what I have learned might be possible for my mom since I came here. She, and many others here, are sterling examples of what is possible and that this is truly a survivable thing.

One day at a time......keep us posted and ask lots of questions along the way. Be warned though, we might expect wedding pics somewhere along the line...

Hugs,

Linda

Your story sounds similar to mine.I was diagnosed in sept and my son got married oct15.I waited to start radiation&chemo til after his wedding also.I was 3b.4cm tumor.my tumor shrunk50%.am now doing aggressive chemo and possibly surgery after the next scans.not sure yet.

It is not hopeless Barbara.Youll get alot of support here.

Marie

Hi Barbara: Welcome to this board. I guess a lot of surgeons think that the cancer is loose with access to your entire body one it gets in the lymph nodes, but I know of at least one other person who had surgery with IIIa cancer and has been disease free for 10 years. I agree with Connie that a good strategy would be to shrink the cancer then pursue surgery. A PET/CT scan after a treatment course may show no lymph node involvement. I don't know much about your other medical issues. I certainly hope they can be managed.

Don M

Welcome. I hope you are able to get a treatment schedule set up around the wedding. My husband was considered inoperable but after chemo and radiation, they paused and scanned him to see if the tumor had shrunk enough that surgery was possible (it wasn't) so he continued on with the maximum dosage of radiation. Good luck and keep us posted.

Barbara,

It sounds like my mom's situation 2 years ago, she was diagnosed when I was planning a wedding (I am an only child too) She was IIIA and had chemotherapy to shrink the tumor and lymph node, then had surgery. I hope the same for you!

Many wise and knowledgeable responses already. These folks are the greatest around. Ask and you will recieve many answers and prayers. Wishing you the best of Luck in your battle. Think positive but get all the anger, Depression, Fear, out of your system first. It is only natural to feel these things but don't let them dictate your life and treatments. Keep us posted as to what is going on and we will be there for you.

Welcome Barbara,

We are glad you decided to join us. Sorry you need to be here , but know you are in the right place. There are so many hopeful stories here and so much love, prayers and support to help you through every step of the way. The beginning is the hardest. The best thing you can do for your son is to include him in your appointments and keep him informed of each step. He might want to join us here , as well. As you learn more and come up with a plan of treatment you will feel better . We will be here for you through all of it. Let us know how your appointment goes.

God Bless,

Sue

Hi Barbara, Welcome to the group. You've gotten some good advice above. Have you considered a second opinion from another medical facility? I've read that different surgeons have different opinions on when they can and can't operate. Depends on surgeon and facilities available. Hugs and Prayers, Barb

Barbara,

I would urge you to begin some kind of treatment as soon as possible, and I DON'T mean as soon as possible after the wedding. The cancer cells won't be waiting for "Here Comes the Bride" before multiplying.

I was diagnosed over three years ago as IIIa. I had surgery and radiation and am cancer-free, so far. Truly, I cannot express the urgency I feel for you, you need to start knocking the critter back, it's NOT an easy fight and waiting makes it worse.

Luck to you,

Becky

I urge you to also start your treatment right away. You most likely will still be able to attend the wedding. I was stage 3A with lymph node involvement. I had daily radiation and chemo for 6 weeks. I then had surgery followed my two more sessions of chemo. After your treatment your doctors will decide about surgery. My scans have been cancer free since my surgery in July. I would have been able to attend a wedding during the time that I was having treatment. I only say that to let you know that the treatment is not that bad. My prayers are with you and I pray you make the best decision for yourself and your family.

Prayers

Barbara,

Welcome. You have found a wonderful place for support and information. I feel like everyone on this board is family. I too, was dx with IIIA. They did surgery, took out the nodes and followed with chemo and radiation. It was three years since surgery on Mar. 10th. I feel good and can do most anything I want to do.

Each case is different. It matters where the cancer is, where the nodes are that are involved, what cell type etc. but I would seek a second opinion.

I also agree with Becky. Please don't wait to start your treatment plan. This disease moves quickly sometimes and the sooner we knock it in the head the better. I was on chemo when I got married. I wore a wig and "looked great" according to my family. We celebrated. I knew I was doing something to combat this disease that strikes so silently.

It has been 3 years. You can do it too. Right now I have no signs of disease and I plan on staying that way for a long time.

Again, Welcome to our family.

Nina

Welcome Barbara, Glad you found us, will get lots of good advice here from caring people. I too cannot have surgery or radiation, just chemo and I'm still here doing well at Stage IV, only real problem for me is fatigue which is doable. I have several other health issues as well that make my treatments a little different. I found being very por-active with my tratments, keeping a positive attitude, taking it one day at a time and researching has helped me. I've been on chemo (with very good success) now for 39 months and have had very few side effects and would urge you to talk to your doctor about starting treatments now rather then wait. They have come a long way in chemo and meds to off set side effects. Of course everyone is different. Also might want to look into a support group. The Wellness Community @ http://www.thewellnesscommunity.org/pro ... /guide.asp has then through the country and they are free for both the cancer patient and there family. There is a Buddy forum as well if you need to talk to someone. Below is a link to ask your doctor some questions. Hope this helps, prayers for the best. Rich

http://www.plwc.org/plwc/MainConstructo ... 008,00.asp (Questions To Ask Your Doctor)

I think you should consider starting treatment prior to the wedding. Oncologists know you have a life and have plans and they will help you work your treatment around your other plans. This is not something to delay, and chances are, you won't get sick. Treatment effects are generally cumulative.

I have continued to work full time throughout two bouts with cancer and a variety of treatments for both. During chemo for the lung cancer, I attended a conference in Colorado and actually traveled to Pike's Peak. I didn't feel great, but it was near the end of treatment, and I didn't feel bad enough to stay home.

My sister is just finishing up treatment for breast cancer as well, and she has a high pressure sales type job where you have to be out there all the time. She only took a small amount of time off and worked when she felt good, which was two out of the three weeks between treatments.

If I were you, I wouldn't delay treatment for anything. You can have treatment and attend your child's wedding and all the associated festivities.

Best of luck to you.

Cindy

Welcome to our group Barbara.

I hope your appointment today provides you with answers and a little direction so that you can enjoy your sons wedding that is coming up so soon.

Praying for you.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Hi Barbra, welcome to the group. As you can see, you got a lot of good advice in the in the messages before. I am also new here, and was dx with staged IIIA lung cancer. Just started my treatments & so far every is fine. Start you treatment as soon as possible and I do not see any reason why you would not attend the wedding. I am sure you Dr. will work with you. Keeps us posted, this is a great bunch of people. God bless and best wishes.

Hi Barbara

Sorry you had to find us. Like you, I was dx'd IIIB. After many rounds of chemo and 25 rad treatments, I was told that surgery would not be possible for me. 10 more rad treatments and chemo, I was downstaged to IA. I have 1 more chemo treatment to go and then will, hopefully, be declared cancer-free. Stay positive and hopeful, chemo and radiation work wonders.

Trish

Welcome and need to add my support to your starting your treatments asap. Doctors are usually very sympathetic to things like weddings and can actually schedule your treatment so that the potentially worst time of treatment doesn't fall out on wedding week. My sister in law's daughter was married during her chemo and let me tell you, she never looked better. She was a little tired for a few days after, paying for all the partying she did, but totally worth it.

Good luck and hope we can help you along the way.

Joan

Hi Barbara,

A very big welcome to you!

If you are like the rest of us, you will feel so much better mentally as soon as you begin treatment. You will feel the courage mount within you day by day. I encourage you not to put this off.

(I think) that all onc's have education and degrees in internal medicine before tackeling onc./hematology. With your complex medical history, you will want the most savvy of doctors to guide you through the maze with the right prescription for treatment. Chemo knocks down the immune system too so they will probably take it into consideration along with the Immuran.

Hair loss doesn't come til later...much later for most of us. So, not to worry there. Heck. It's almost wedding time already!

Hang on to us. We will get you through.

I'm a lllB out over three years now.

Cindi o'h

Welcome Barbara. I am sorry you had the need to find the board but know that you will find plenty of love, support and comfort here. I do agree with the others re scheduling treatment to start just as soon as possible. Best thoughts and prayers to you and your family,

Lynda