CT/PET RESULTS

MalouDP

Well, Alimta did nothing to my husband. Progression of Disease. I will be checking out new oncologists and get second opinion. This one wasn't very warmth at all. Did not have much to say or offer. I know I am probably very upset, but his demeanor was not acceptable to me by any means. He offered Taxotere as single agent. I mentioned to add Avastin, he said he can't due to the bleeding side effects of Avastin its too dangerous on this case. He said the size of the tumors are too big and Avastin are not known to work with his type. The results are still confined in the left lung even though the sizes and SUV's have doubled and a new node involvement and para esophagal involvement at 1.5 cm. Thank you all for your prayers. Please keep them coming. We need all of them.

God Bless and I love you all.

Malou

I am sorry that Thomas has had progression Malou. Yah, it looks like it is time for a second opinion. I have heard that avastin can be a problem for brain mets because of the bleeding but did not know it could be a problem with other mets. But, I suppose it could cause bleeding anywhere. I would ask the second opinion guys about the avastin. You both have my prayers.

Don M

I sent you an email as well....yes, I think it is time for a second opinion. What Don said about avastin is the same understanding that I have -- that it is an issue with brain mets...which I know Thomas does not have.

May God give you stength, peace and guidance in your next steps.

You two are in my prayers daily.

holly

Find a new Onc post haste and get 2nd opinion. This article may help in your quest for furthwer treatment. Deb would Have started Alimta avastin and if that did not work we were told we would probably go bacck to first treatment. Sadly that did not happen. good Luck and am sending prayers for an answer.

NEW YORK MAR 22, 2006 (Reuters Health) - Treatment with cisplatin followed by irinotecan appears to achieve better outcome in patients with nonsmall cell lung carcinoma than does treatment with the same drugs in the reverse order, according to Korean researchers.

"We found that the cisplatin-followed-by-irinotecan sequence was associated with a higher response rate," senior investigator Dr. Jin Soo Lee told Reuters Health. "We recommend administering cisplatin first and then irinotecan for future clinical use of this regimen."

In the February 15th issue of Cancer, Dr. Lee and colleagues at the National Cancer Center, Goyang point out that although the cisplatin plus irinotecan combination is effective for nonsmall cell lung carcinoma, they speculated that the administration sequence may affect patient response.

The researchers randomized 80 patients to receive irinotecan immediately followed by cisplatin, or cisplatin immediately followed by irinotecan on day 1.

Treatment was with irinotecan 80 mg per square meter on days 1 and 8, and cisplatin at 60 mg per square meter on day 1 of a 3-week cycle for a maximum of 6 cycles.

In the 77 patients available for assessment, the overall response rate was 47%, with a trend towards a better response (54%) in those given cisplatin followed by irinotecan compared with patients given irinotecan followed by cisplatin (39%).

The researchers note that administering cisplatin first may cause less toxicity than when the agents are given in the reverse order. When irinotecan was given before cisplatin, there were more episodes of severe nausea, neutropenia and other toxic side effects

I'm sorry to hear that the tumor has grown. But, by all means, if you're not comfortable with the oncologist, get a second opinion. None of us liked my dad's first oncologist but we figured we needed to finish the chemo rounds with him which we did. We did believe the chemo was the right protocol though. But we couldn't really talk to this oncologist -- he was disorganzed, always in a hurry, never remembered anything about my dad's situation... It's so nice to have a doctor that we're comfortable with, not just medically, but emotionally too.

Will be sending out prayers for you and your husband.

gail p-m

Malou,

I am so sorry Alimta didn't work for Thomas. As for the Avastin, yes we were told that it does have the side effect of bleeding in lung cancer. Our onc was quite concerned about it. He told us that as the use of Avastin for lung cancer had increased, so had the reports of not just bleeding , but possible fatal hemmorage in the lung.

As for changing doctors, I know that we wanted the best for Mike. First and foremost we wanted a doctor that knew what he/she was doing Second, but also very important was to have a doctor we could communicate with. Our onc always listened , considered whatever suggestions we made and took time to discuss options so that we understood what we were doing. In my opinion , you shouldn't settle for less.

As for taxotere, it has been effective for many patients here and it was the first to cause shrinkage in Mike's tumors.

Prayers coming your way. Hope you have a new treatment plan soon.

Love,

Sue

Thank you all very much for your much needed input. I am a little confused and the same feeling I had a year ago when I first heard the diagnosis is travelling thru my entire blood. I understand the protocols of this disease, however, what I need is an onc who has a bedside manner. This one definetely fit the mold of most of those doctors who are very insensitive and has no compassion to their patient. I was not expecting a hug from him, but he could at least lay the cards on the table and let me hear what other options we do have. He was brief, and I feelt the "do not give a shi_ response". I maybe wrong, but this is our life. On another note, is RFA (Radio Frequency Ablation) an option on my husbands case? How many of you guys had it done on the lungs?

Thank you all for your help.

Hey Don Wood, and Rochelle hows Alimta coming along? We need updates from you as well.

God Bless.

Love to all

Malou

Malou,

Nobody wants to hear progression. Sorry that you and Thomas are back into the fight again with original strength.

You definitely need a doc you can talk with and one who will listen and have something good up her/his sleeve. Start to beat the streets. And hard.

Will be saying a prayer that a good onc. will come to your family very soon.

Cindi o'h