My trip to Cancer Treatment Centers of America

Darrell

I went to Zion Illinois this week for my 3 month staging. Since I've only been diagnosed a few months, this is my first go-round with staging.

I spoke to a nutritionist while I was there. Here is what they recommend for Lung Cancer patients (take whatever you need out of this. I'm just sharing what they told me):

DECREASE Consumption of:

Saturated Fat - Cononut, palm, palm kernel, butter, beef, lard, etc.

Animal protein: source of saturated fat, hormones, pesticides, antibiotics

Dairy: Use low fat or nonfat sources.

Alcohol

INCREASE consumption of:

Carotenoids: 1+ serving daily (carrots, sweet potato, cantaloupe, apricots, spinach, etc). Powerful antioxidants

Pineapple: 1 serving daily. Decreases inflamation. Bromelein in pineapple has anti-metastatic potential in animal studies

EPA: Omega 3-Fatty Acids. 2+ meals/week (seafood: halibut, cod, tuna, mackerel, sardines packed in olive oil, salmon)

Legemus/Soy: Not my favorite here ... 3+ servings/week

Green Tea: 1+ cup daily - Good source of phytochemicals

Cold Pressed Organic Oils: No more than 1-2 tablespoons per day.

I saw a doctor of naturopathic medicine. Here is a breakdown of what they told me to get ...

melatonin - 1x 20mg at night

green tea extract - 2x 550mg daily

vitamin b6 - 1x 100mg

l-glutamine - 2x 10grams

immunomax - 2x daily

EPA max - 2x 360mg

calcium citrate + vitamin D - 1 tablet daily

Whatever you want to use is fine with me. Again, I'm here to just toss my hat in to the ring with more knowledge.

I had an incredibly good time at CTCA. I was not treated like a number. I highly recommend going there. Please PM me if you want to know more.

Glad to be home!!!! :-)

Debs Onc had recommended what he called a Christmas diet. Heavy on Green Veggies and Red Fruit. Don't know why and probably never will now. We did a lot of smoothies in the morning and evening for her. Saying a prayer for ya!!

Darrell,

Glad to hear how well things are going. You sound great.

Thanks also for the menu. I had also gone to a nutritionist through Sloan Kettering and he told me almost the identical stuff. That should make us both feel good.

Well, keep up the good work and don't worry about the hair loss, it certainly looks better on guys :D

Joan

darrell,

let me be nosey.... did you "stay the night" there... were they compassionate to you and your condition?...what did you think....

when/if i get real bad i dont want to have my family and friends kill themselves trying to take of me.....thought i might run to one of those for the actually dying.... ...s