Dana Reeve Special - Mind & Body Connection

Ann

PBS Documentary Airs Wednesday

Dana Reeve would be alive only about three more months when she taped an introduction to the two-hour PBS documentary "The New Medicine."

The widow of paralyzed "Superman" actor Christopher Reeve was battling lung cacner diagnosed last summer, but was upbeat that late November day of the taping.

"She was very hopeful at that point that she would survive," director Muffie Myer recalled. "She was buying Christmas presents for her son that day and really had a tremendous amount of energy. She seemed wonderful, and very, very grounded and strong."

In her introduction to the first segment of "The New Medicine," Reeve tells viewers: "Your emotional state has a tremendous amount to do with sickness, health and well-being. For years, my husband and I lived on- and because of - hope. Hope continues to give me the mental strength to carry on."

The project was the last she is known to have completed before her March 6 death, and it was a fitting one: "The New Medicine" which debuts at 9 p.m. Wednesday on PBS, looks at how mainstream doctors are embracing treatment of the whole patient - not just the symptoms of the disease.

Reeve's appearance after her death unintentionally underscores one of the central points of the documentary: Holistic medicine is a tool for fighting illness - not a cure-all.

"Part of the challenge is we get patients all the time that are really looking for a magic cure," said Dr. Tracy Gaudet, an OB-GYN who heads the Duke Center for Integrative Medicine in Durham. "We're not in the business of magic cures: we're in the business of good medicine."

The Duke Center uses any available technique - from alternative to mainstream - that might improve a patient's experience and outcome, Gaudet said. Accepted practices include herbal supplements, acupuncture, massage and meditation.

In an off-camera interview with the film's producers on the day she taped her introductions, Reeve said she was doing "creative image work" - evoking images and sensations as a cue to the body to relax.

With her doctor's blessing, she said, she was taking botanical supplements along with prescribed medicines.

"The New Medicine" airs tonight at 9:00 on PBS

www.thenewmedicine.org

http://dukehealth1.org/health_services/ ... dicine.asp

Carleen...I'm assuming it's 9:00 Eastern time, since it was listed that way in my paper and I'm Eastern time.

You always are thinking!!! I'm so envious of your mind!!!