newbie - first post

Keith

CT scan on Aug. 6th shows a fist sized mass in upper lobe of right lung. I just got back from a brochoscopy. Hopefully will get a quick read from pathology tomorrow. I have a needle biopsy scheduled for early Wednesday morning if bronc biopsy results are negative. Bone scan results were negative.

All that said, like others, I am much pleased to have stumbled across this site. Any and all support welcome just now - the limbo of waiting is brutal.

I have a couple of questions. The first is, can anybody tell me what is the "standard" treatment protocol for stage IIIb or IV nscl?

The second is, does anybody know about someone who has had a tumor (6x5x3cm or larger) that has broken throught the chest wall removed? A doctor today said that a resection might be possible. It didn't really make sense to me, but then I am brand new to this.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Welcome Keith,

Mine was about the same size but SCLC and they seldom operate for that. The chemo may shrink the tumor enough to make this possible. This is the hardest time, waiting for treatment to begin. Stay away from the statistics and visit here often. There is lots of hope and support available. There are people here that have been though what you are going through and you can learn a lot. Knowledge is power!

Jenny

My tumor in the apex of my right upper lung was a little bigger than a golf ball. It was NSCLC. They called it a pancoast tumor named after a Dr. that described symtoms from a tumor in that area. My mentor also had a pancoast tumor but his grew into his ribs also. They took 3 of his ribs. He said it slowed down his back swing, but improved his golf game. I don't know if that helps . O by the was John ( my mentor ) is now a 16 yr lung cancer survivor and still golfs. Donna

Guest macjanice

Welcome Keith

I am new here too. I have posted a few times. The people here are wonderful. Please keep coming back. My husbanb's mass was 9.5cm x 8.5 cm x 5.5 cm and had invaded the chest wall. His was removed Aug.18. He will come home from the hospital today. He is recovering well and will begin Chem in a few weeks. He was dx'ed poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma. I hope this helps. Janice

My tumor was 7 cm. It started out inoperable because of location. I took 25 radiation and 5 chemo to shrink it. It shrunk to 2 cm so therfore I had surgery to remove the whole lung. All 4 of my doctors were remarkably pleased with the results of the shrinkage. The report came back that all the cancer was gotten out. Hang in there and keep us posted. You will be in my prayers.