It is sclc

jessicahsmom

We just got the phone call with the results. It is small cell and the doctor wants to do a brain scan. They are setting up the radiation and chemo. The doctor is saying my mom's life expectancy is 1-2 years with a 5% chance it may be longer. She put her on steroids and something for her vocal chords. My mom is pretty upset with the 1-2 year thing. I did tell her that depends on so many factors, that it is hard to say. She is healthy and hasn't lost any weight yet. I will keep you updated...Jessica

OH MY GOD PLEASE DO NO LISTEN TO DOCTORS WHEN THEY TELL YOU HOW LONG SOMEONE IS GONNA LIVE.

They DONT know, they CANT know. They did not come off a cross and turn water into wine and rise from the dead. Only God knows when he is going to brink someone home.

That doctor probably read thoses statistics from a damn manual they all have for delivering this news. Treatment can and does work.

Tell your mom to pis_ off the doctors and live 20 years. Tell her to tell them to take their stats and shove them up thier a##es.

please do not give up and give in.

Jessica,

I sure hope your Mom realizes that there really is no way of knowing how long her life expectancy is. She is in shock right now, as I'm sure all of your family is. Just take a couple days to let all of this sink in and then come out fighting.

That is wonderful that her doctor is not wasting time. It sounds like he has a plan in place.

I'll say an extra prayer for your Mom.

Hang in there ........... and lean on us for the support that you need right now.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Oh (((Jessica))),

My 2 cents worth here.................I was told 9/04 that I would NOT see flowers in the spring of '05. Well..................I am HERE!!!!! I SAW flowers last spring AND even PLANTED some AND even PICKED them. AND I plan to do it all over again THIS spring. So THERE!!!!! Hope this lifts you up just a little bit!

Kasey

Jessica:

I guess I would be offended if a doctor told me how long I have to live and did so without my asking.

If your mom is not going to a major cancer center for treatment, maybe she should at least get a second opinion just to make sure everything is on track. She could still start treatment. I wish the best for you and your mom.

Don M

I'm a long term survivor of sclc, there are many of us out there but the drs forget to talk about us.

Be sure to tell your Mom when she's over the shock that before she was dx she didn't know how long she was going to live and she still doesn't, only one person knows that and it's a well kept secret.

Please remember to take a deep breath and always stay positive........attitude makes a huge difference.

I made it so there's hope for everyone.

Geri

Jessica i'm amazed in a sort of strange way that her Doc gave her a time table and stat's . Each person is different and respond to chemo differently. My Wife was DX'ed with extensive but the Doc for some reason told her stage 4 , maybe he felt she would understand that terminology better. Well she lived for 22 month's after Dx and her sister who was given almost the same identicle DX as they both had it in liver and bone's beside's lung. Her Sister who by the way was a Nurse lasted about 8 month's and i can tell you i'm almost positive it was the difference in there attitude's. Her sister gave up almost immediately where as my wife was the eternal optimist. So please tell your MOM to make herself believe she can beat it and put her trust in the lord and ignore the Stat's as she is not a statistic....Larry

Jessica,

Get a small sized organizer for starters. Write down all meds, dosages, chemo treatments, apptmnt dates, questions for drs. and anything youwant to keep track of. I did this for 3 years and it helps so much. Do not believe a Dr when he tells you when a person is going to die. HE DON"T KNOW FOR SURE ONLY GOD DOES. Have faith Think positive ask questions and keep notes of everything going on. If you need a question answered and on a weekend or night time just ask us we can probably help you or guide you for info. Saying prayers for all of you.

I hate when I hear that doctors do that. Like everyone else has already said, NOBODY knows when your time is up. Please share with your mom that there are so many survivors out there. My dad has SCLC and he is a 20 month survivor!

love,

jorja

Thank you everyone. I think my mom is starting to have faith. I bought her some cancer prayer cards last week for her birthday. When she read some of them she cried. Well yesterday we went and stayed with her a for a while and took her out to dinner and she showed me her card for the day. Keep in mind she forget to get one out for Thursday. It talked about doctors giving percentages on survival rates and said what ever they said it was, with god's love it was going to be 70%. That just totally flipped her out. She is not a religous person but, I honestly think she is getting closer and closer every day to being one. She had a 1 in 30 chance to pick that card for the same day she got her results and asked what the survival rate was. The doctor is very concerned with it already having spread to her brain. That does scare me.

I did relook at her chest xrays and I can now tell where the mass is and how far up it goes and I think where it is coming through to the airways.

We meet with her oncologist Tuesday, go in for a MRI on her brain Thursday, and the 13th we meet with the radiation oncologist. She has already had her oncologist look at everything, the pulmonary doctor look at everything, the radiologist and now the radiation oncologist. I know we should get a second opinion but, with all of these different doctors should we be ok. Her oncolgoist is involved a lot with the clinical trials and even has been in the local paper for his research. I do feel very comfortable with him he is the grandpa type doctor like you would swear was from the little house on the prairie....I really think she has a good team out there and I know of someone who has used him for cancer care. Everyone we talk to has nothing but, nice things to say and as much as he has done to move this process as fast as he has, I would like to think we can trust him....with her life. I already have gotten everything organized. I have one binder full of the types of cancer and treatments, one for nutrition and skin care for radiation and chemo, and one for appts, medical records, insurance, questions to ask, doctor info....I hope I am not forgetting anything. I am going to make these up for my brother and sister also to keep at their house incase mom will be there and one for mom's house. I feel if we have a central station set up at her house, who ever is with her will know exactly what needs to be done. When it comes to research and organization I am there.

Thanks again for all of your help and I will be asking some new questions once we have an idea on treatment. I will try to get the pathology report in hopes someone can help me with it...Jessica

Jessica-

It is very evident from your posts that you are a very caring daughter.

Your proactiveness will help your mother tremendously.

And you're getting through the toughest part now.

It's not easy, but it gets better.

Many have been through this and emerged to continue on with their lives.

Keep doing what you're doing.

There will be plenty of tears and fears, but stay strong and she will prevail.

Good luck!

You got it going on Girl. t is good to be organized with everything and keep it at your moms. Do check all your hospital bills to avoid sdouble billing when you get to that point. My sister the Nurse told me that. Saying a prayer and sounds good so far.