whether to join the clinical trial?

berisa

Some of you may notice that I have talking about the new drug -- TM for patients to try, in fact, today my Dad just saw our private oncologist as well as to meet the oncologist at public hospital (dad's current treating place), my Dad met the Dr Private first and then the Dr Public, my dad is supposed to take the TM starting from today. But when my Dad told the dr. public about the TM, Dr. public did not suggest my Dad taking TM because TM is still in clinical trial stage and not yet approved.

If you were him, what will you do? In fact, Dr. Private said TM has no side effect at all. Should my Dad take the bet? The TM is in the Phase III clinical trial..... :?

Any advice? In fact, my Dad said he thinks he is like a rat to test new drug. He is not really eager to try TM and he thinks it costs too much.

Berisa,

I'm confused about something. Is your Father receiving treatment in Hong Kong? In America patients are not charged for the investigational drugs used in a clinical trial. There are other charges that we must pay, but the drugs being tested are not something we pay for.

Fay A. PS What is TM?

I need to make a correction to this what I wrote previously. We in America do not USUALLY pay for the investigational drug. That cost is typically picked up by the drug company who created the drug. But we do usually pay for "related" costs.

Sorry for the mistake..

Fay A.

TM is actually FDA approved for wilsons disease. Its non-toxic, has virtually no side efects, except when copper levels get to low (low blood counts) but the dose is adjusted to prevent this. The pills here in the U.S. are $1.50 each. My dad takes between 2 and 3 a day. He originally started out on 7/day. With all the people I know on TM no one has ever complained of side effects except some heartburn on occasion. TM actually works by attaching to copper in your body, making it useless to tumors.

Cary

Fay & Cary, thank you for your response on this matter

In Hong Kong, since TM is not officially being in clinical trial approved by government, so this is only done via private oncologists. So there is no any fund to support patients and sponsor them. :cry:

We have to pay total USD154 for one week medicine + consultation fee (with blood testing), you know, we have to bear all costs not only the pills. I know only consultation fee without any pills that costs USD77 already.

It is costly and we also pay USD360 for the chinese herb tea every month.

Cary, your Dad is Small Cell or NSCLC ?

THanks for listening.

My father has NSCLC. Can you have the drug shipped from the US, If you can get a prescription I have a list of pharmacies you can use. The drug cost will go down after roughly the first month since your dad will be using less of it.

Cary