Has anyone had this heart test?

Ry

A transesophageal echocardiogram tee? They go down your throat with a camera so they can see the back of the heart. I have to have this done on Wednesday and I am not real keen on doing this. It sounds like a not too pleasant procedure. Thought I'd check and see if anyone has had one.

Hi Ry,

I haven't, though I think I have had justabout every other test done..lol.

I imagine that it will be alot like a camera they use to check the esophagus. If it is, it isn't so bad. They give you good drugs ( :D ) IV to help. Versid and Fentanyl...(yummy) they put you in a place where you know what is going on, you just don't care. And then for most people, you forget the whole thing when it is finished.

I hope they find that your leaflets are all okay and that your heart is doing well, Ry.

Please let us know, okay?

love,

Cindi o'h

Sorry to hear you need a test and I have no information about it but I do wish for the best results.

Surely they give you some drugs for this, my husband has an endoscope test which sounds similar, every couple of years and knows nothing other than they ask him to count!!

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday, be sure to ask for some good drugs.

Geri

Ry:

I found this site that might help give you some info.: http://www.heartsite.com/html/tee.html.

(edit)...I don't know what happened to my link! Choose the TEE button on the page that comes up.

Has some additional info. on safety of the procedure and what to expect from it. Sounds "routine" and isn't supposed to cause the patient undue pain or unpleasantness. I don't personally know anyone who has had it done via my family's connections with a local Mended Hearts organization.

Warm wishes for an easy go with it.

Linda

Ry,

I don't know anything about it either, BUT I tend to agree with Cindi about the drugs given. That is exactly what I had the times I had my esophagus stretched................no pain..................hardly and discomfort either. Will be thinking only good thoughts for you.

Kasey

I had it done three years ago. What would you like to know about it? It was NOT painful. NOT very comfy, but not what I would discribe as painful. They numb your throat very well before going down. They also give you a shot to comfort you, but you need to be awake for this. The doctor and techs that did mine were very very VERY kind and comforting and that helped with my fear of the unknown. It's not any worse then a pap smear. :roll::wink::P

Honestly, it's not fun, but it very doable. Really no pain was involved for me.

I had it done twice.

Ry, why do you need to have this done? What are they looking for?

Connie,

Thanks for the information. They want to watch the valve and see what it is doing. I have occasions of atrial fibrillation and he says he wants more information on how the valve is closing.

Hi Ry,

Ironic that I'm reading this post today when I just learned that my brother had this procedure done on Thursday. I just spoke with my sister-in-law and she said he experienced no pain, was thoroughly numbed and given something to help him relax during the procedure. He did have a slight sore throat that evening, but was fine by morning. Good luck!

Rochelle,

Almost everyone has said that it's do-able. If you have a "slight sore throat" that night (as some one mentioned) it seems to me to be a good excuse for chocolate ice cream or hot fudge sundaes. Good luck and I hope this procedure doesn't cause you discomfort.

Muriel

Ry,

Just wanted to wish you good vibes for your TEE tomorrow. You'll do fine! :wink: I too had a scratchy throat but it only lasted a couple of days and it didn't stop me from eating. :roll::wink:

Put your party hat on and tell the crew, lets get it on and party! hehehehe!

You'll do fine and it'll be over with before you know it. Hang in there. I'm saying prayers that all is okay with your valve. Besides, valve jobs should only be done on Cars and Trucks! :P:lol::wink: