questions? please read

Guest petie

Guest petie

My MIL has sclc, since Jan 05. Cancer is everywhere, In this past Jan, they found cancer in the brain, and used radiation. she has been doing well. her last scans showed the cancer was gone from the brain (about 2 weeks ago) She was admitted to the hospital last night, cancer is back in the brain, and they expect things to progress quickly now. She will be coming home with hospice.

what does this mean? how much time do we have? what is going to happen?

Petie,

Noone can tell you how much time you have. Just make the best of what time is left. There are many caregivers among us that have dealt with what you are about to go through. You will find comfort in their words.

GOD BE WITH YOU AND YOUR MOM!!

Jamie

Hospice will hopefully be of great help. Don't be afraid to ask any of your MIL's health care people questions. They should be able to give you some better answers, although there is no one that can say exactly how long anyone has left. My dear MIL passed away from lc in 1996. I was so glad that we all had some time to say the things we needed to say to her, before she went. She was also only 61 yrs old. I still miss her very much. She was a very special person to everyone who knew and loved her. I know how very hard of a time this is and I am sending prayers and best wishes to help you all through this. Don't be afraid to talk to her and give her lots of love. It will be of great comfort to her and yourself. Take Care, Patty

I am so sorry. Hospice will be a great help. Your MIL should be comfortable with their help. Remember you do have time left...leave nothing unsaid. No one knows how long you will have with her, yet hospice will give you an idea when the time begins to be short -- which could be a long ways off or around the corner. Breathe. Take each day as it comes, each hour. Don't try and look ahead, you can't control the future.

Prayers for peace and strength for you.

Holly

Hospice will answer all your questions, make your mother comfortable and help you put your mind at ease.

that being said, if I had brain mets that came back, and I flet good... still had strength, I would seek a second opinion. I have heard of pople having brain mets zapped up to 3 different times before the mets stabilized. I think the primary tumor has to be controlled.

check out:

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?f=1

Don m

Petie,

Please listen to what Don said. Get a 2nd opinion. Is the LC stable? Does your MIL feel good? Is she in any pain? Please let us know so we can try and help you...

Blessings snd prayers,

Karen

PS ~~~ I have had two brain Surgeries, each person is different though...

Everyone has covered what to do now. This is my mantra. Deb and I never experienced dealing with Hospice so I can't help on that aspect. My personal experience is this; Remember yesterday, Cherish today and Pray for tomorrow. I hope this will help you some. It is the Besrt thing I personally can tell you. saying prayers!

Guest petie

Thank you all fro your replies

Sorry I have not been on. She is home from the hospital,a nd hospice is in. She is laways trying to get up, even though she does not have the strength. She is much more alert and coherent now though. She talks easily of her impending death. She is telling everyone the DR gave her 2 month to live though, when actually she was given no time at all.

Guest petie

The brain mets are not stable,a nd sprading at a fast rate. MIL has no strength or energy to persue a second opinion. Another lesion has also showed up in the other lung

A DOCTOR CAN NOT TELL YOU HOW LONG YOU ARE GOING TO LIVE AND KNOW FOR SURE!!!!!! We have a lot who have outlived that diagnosis!!! :wink:

Hi Petie,

So sorry for all you are going through and this is a very heavy load. Your poor mom must be so scared.

A 2nd opinion might put your mind at ease. Maybe there is someting that can give her more time.

Speaking about time, do not listen to stastics as you know there are many here who have beaten those odds.

Prayers sent to you mom.

Maryanne