Mom and me--my update 4/5- mom update 4/7

Andrea

Sharing some tests coming up:

My mom: has her Chest CT-Scan on Fri, followed by an oncologist visit the same day.

Just a side note: Funny story, my parents always bring food to the visits b/c they are wonderful there, Hershey Kisses and other stuff for the oncologist b/c he likes that; Costco pretzel tub for the physicain assistant; and then another pretzel tub for theothers. Well my parents went to Costco today and no more pretzels :shock: So my dad calls the PA from Costco asking what other snacks were ok, apparently she could not stop laughing. Who does that? :P

Me: I am having a surgical hysteroscopy tomorrow under full anasthesia to see if there are any defects in the uterus for fertilty.

Nothin' says "love" like FOOD! (Especially chocolate)

Enjoy your nap, Andrea. Hoping there's something fixable wrong with you so you have an answer as to "why not?" and not have to worry about that issue again!

Baby vibes coming your way, girl!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am done, just a bit groggy.

The dr talked to my parents, I will see her next week. They did a D&C and biopsy (not sure why really); I have red and white cells that are not cancerous but indicate I will have a problem with heavy cramping and bleeding in the future which a hysterectomy would relieve (I already knew I would need one b/c of my polycystic ovaries and the cancer risk); and as for fertiliy my uterus is just abnormally structured and odd shaped all over :) She described it as mountains and hiills and curves to my mom. She has a brand new instrument and will start experimenting on me to see if she can get around those structural deformities to sucessfully implant the remaining frozen embryos. All the trial runs may push me another month out, but se la vi. I've already started the Russian adoption process :)

Oh, she also talked to my parents aobut my stress level and how I need to stop thinking every lymph node is lymphoma; every mouth sore is oral cancer; every ache or pain is cancer. That might help too a bit, but it is not the main problem. Main problem is structural. I kind of feel like why did I have $23k of tax deductions for nothing last year, but as I explained to my mother in law, they dont go around doing surgical procedures for a fishing expedition on everyone right away. This was a last ditch effort since by now it should have took. Now we know :)

Oh Andrea, I am glad you are done with that and I sure hope that new instrument works. If you can figure out how to not stress over the lumps and stuff, let me know. Once you have been touched by cancer, how can you not jump to that conclusion. One of the problems sometimes is that we just know too much. You and your Mom are in my prayers and we really need to get together again soon.

Hugs to you and Mom

Nancy B

Andrea,

I'll say lots and lots of prayers for your mom on Friday. Also saying lots of prayers that the new equipment gets those embryos in there good.

I had the hysteroscopy but with no sedation. Not fun at all... ouch. But I got to see the inside of my uterus. I can't believe anything would want to live in there it just looks so icky. :lol::lol:

Maybe some mountains will make it look more scenic and these embryos just need the right spot with a view.

Hi Andrea - I'm glad your tests are over. Certainly not the results you had hoped for, however at least you now know why you have had some problems and the good news is she has an instrument that might help :).

Good luck with the adoption process. My son's 4th grade teacher adopted a baby and the same month found out she was indeed pregnant. She now has 2 wonderful boys. So who knows Katie might be right on target :)

Paula

Andrea,

I hope, whichever path to parenthood is right for you, that it is as smooth and painless as possible. I used to host an FAQ advanced infertility board and I've met hundreds of women along the way...a good friend of mine adopted from Russia in 2001. I remember all she went through to get her baby boy back then. Of course Russia's adoption criteria have changed since then. I give adoptive parents so much credit; we looked into adoption/fostering in 2000 after multiple failed IUI's and IVF's. I swear I am just not a strong enough person for all it entails--domestic or international. I think you would be such a wonderful adoptive parent.

I had an exploratory laparoscopy/hysteroscopy in 1999 but my RE never found anything. I was unexplained except for anovulation for four years. We always wished so badly to have gotten a diagnosis--something fixable to give us hope for a successful cycle! We finally had success in 2001 with our twins, and I just had another baby on March 6th--without medical help!

I used to have literature on stress and its impact on fertility, but I think it got lost along with a lot of other things in my house...! Basically it says that stress does have an impact on fertility, and I always found that study so interesting because when we started getting into the throes of treatment, my dad had LC and was doing VERY poorly with chemo. When things seemed to setlle down for me personally, and I found a doctor whom I really felt comfortable with and trusted, it happened. Of course in the world of fertiles it is easy to say, "relax and you'll get pregnant," but we know better--it's not that easy. For those with medical issues which keep them from getting pregnant, we know that if only it could be as easy as relaxing.

As I said, I do hope that it all works out for you, whatever the answer is. I'm crossing fingers, toes and eyes for you!

My mom is still in remission :) Her next visit with the oncologist is in July, looks like she graduated to every 3 months.

What a nice man her oncologist is, I think I posted a month ago I had a spinal MRI for tingling which report showed swollen neck lymph nodes and said to "follow up". We freaked out, my mom's onc looked at the MRI and his office called and said it was fine. The FIRST thing he asked when he walked in the room was how I was and whether the lymph nodes shrunk. He did a cervical lymph node check on me too and said it all felt fine :)