ARDS

daggiesmom

This stands for Acute Respitory Distress Syndrome. I read about it yesterday on the internet. Sometimes I think the Internet is good and sometimes not so good. After filling my head with information about this I came to the conclusion that this is what I went through in December. Everything they mentioned matched. I asked my husband if they told or mentioned this to him, he was vehement that this was not mentioned to him. I guess the reason I bring this up is because I'm still upset about all the dreams I had while in this coma they induced. I think about the dreams ALOT and I wonder when they'll go away. Also I have noticed that my memory is not what it used to be. I went back to work on Monday and I'm having a VERY hard time remembering how to do my job. I spent a good amount of time today crying at my desk because I couldn't remember how to operate the computer, passwords, inputing info that in the past I could do almost without thinking. I am very worried that my memory will not come back as it was. Has anyone gone thru this? I went back full time (35 hours per week) and now I think maybe I should get a note from the doctor stating that I can work part time until he says otherwise. This means I wouldn't have life insurance which is a major problem for my husband if I die. What should I do? Any ideas would be welcome from you guys!

Joanie

Joanie,

Wish I had an answer about the memory thing. Have you had a recent MRI. That would be something you could request from your doctor . Then maybe go from there. Is the insurance provided by your employer or do you have to pay for it. The reason I ask is, maybe you can purchase the insurance independently.

Karen

Karen,

I haven't had a brain MRI in a very long time (if I can remember, maybe at diagnosis in April 2002?) I would think the insurance (Oxford ) would pay for it. Maybe that would be a good way to go. I'd have to talk to the oncologist about it. Thanks for responding. I have an appointment with the GP on April 11th. I don't know if he would go ahead and order this.

Joanie.

Joanie,

I wish I had answers for you. I can only say do what your gut says, and don't do more than you can handle.

I just wanted to say that I know a little bit about ARDS and might possibly know why they never mentioned it. My understand is that it is a syndrome which means it is a group of symptoms and they need to find the cause, by itself ARDS is not a true diagnosis. This is how it was explained to me last May when my mom had ARDS after her anyerusm procedure. Her ARDS was unexplained and they had to find the cause. The cause ended up being that she needed a triple bypass and being under anasthesia for as long as she was almost killed her. I remember being told she had ARDS and they were not sure if she would make it.

I hope things improve for you. Sending good thoughts

Some of the symptoms you are talking about sound like??depression?? The forgetfulness-mood swings??

I think an MRI sounds like a good idea to rule out mets BUT you may want to think about the depression. I was on an anti-depressant the first few yrs. I have not had any for the last 3 yrs., tho if I could afford them again it would probably help. :?

As for the working, look at the financial aspects and whether you can do it. I know that is hard, I went back to work teaching 2 evenings a week. I gave notice and this is my last semester, I just have to believe God will take care of the situation when I do not have the extra income.

What about SS Disability??

Cindy

Joanie-

Don't panic. Try to give it some time. You were extremely ill and it's just going to take some time to recover from the surgery and the drugs. Years ago in college I was very ill and spent a long time in the hospital with high fevers, lots of drugs etc. When I came out my brain was mush, I couldn't concentrate to read or anything else. Try to give your job a little time to come back to you. I think you'll be ok.