Getting to Know You - April 5

Ann

Wow-that's a tough question. I have spent the last 12 years of my life mentoring music students. The one student I remember most was a young student that was a product of a terrible home environment (very abusive mother), he was taken out of the home and moved in with grandmother and dad who was suffering from AIDS. Needless to say, the young student was full of anger and agression. I took the child under my wing and tried to my best to teach music education, right from wrong, empathy and ambitionand instill good morals. This child was really smart and very determined. I am anxious to see the end result. Also, a truly awesome musician for the age. This was during the student's 7th grade year. The student is now a junior in high school and doing pretty well. One of the best instrumentalist/musicians in the band program.

I would mentor a young girl who seemed to be heading in the wrong direction. I would teach her how to say NO. I would tell her she was smart and pretty and funny everyday to help build her self esteem. To let her know that she is the only one that can keep herself from obtaining what she wants. That if you want something badly enough and she works hard enough she can get it. Not to settle. To be responsible and accountable for her actions. To realize just how important she is.

For me it would have to be kids. I would tell them my experiences and how I deal with things. Have then focus on doing the right thing, education, being honest, working hard, being responsible etc. Would encourage them to be the best they can be. Listen to them. Tell them to turn a negative into a positive.

I really feel hypocritical writing this knowing the type of person i've been and with my human frailities am capable of falling back into old way's. But if i was to be offered to pick out some one to mentor it would be a person confused about what they believe such as GOD or people or life in general. The reason i say this is when i Coached and trained amateur Boxers for twenty years i spent doing just what i just described and being i was working with mostly young hispanic young men it was a real challenge convincing then they were not just hispanic but American and Equal to everyone else in this great country. Religion was no problem with them but i'm proud to say i was accepted as one of them and some very outstanding young men became outstanding mature men and to this day they often want me to train there son's to box and am considered a speacial friend to them. Take it when my wife Died they made there sympathy know and one's that did not know of her death but have learned of it later find me and share there heart felt sympathy. Some even as grown men have came to me for advice still....... Larry