What Do You Do To De-Stress?

Linda661

This is almost like a "getting to know you question":

I am seeing a lot lately across the forum posts about so, so many of us under unbearable stress loads dealing with this disease right now and it's causing all kinds of additional health complications in folks'lives...really has made me so sad to see this, almost to the point of wanting to avoid most of the forums lately.... Thought it might help if we could share things that have worked for us to de-stress in times like this -- although the stress feeling won't necessarily entirely go away, trying what others have successfully done might at least help take "the edge off" long enough until each of us can re-group a bit and go on.

I'll start: so far in this process, every time I am so stressed out that I swear I am gonna' collapse inside, I turn on gentle music, light some fragrant candles that I really enjoy the scent of (usually vanilla), and put lots of fresh flowers around the house. Now that it's spring, I am planting some flowers in areas I can easily see from the house as I look out the windows and opening windows so I can smell the fresh spring air & hear wind chimes. Why this seems to work, I can't say, but it does have a calming influence -- sort of like giving my senses as much stimulation with things of a soothing and beautiful character as possible. (works even though the house is a mess, papers piled everywhere, and the yard work is way behind too).

Linda

I put on my most comfy pajamas, clean sheets, and get into bed with Teddy. Teddy's my dog and he's the one in my avatar..............big and black and hairy as all get out. He loves clean sheets too. Anyhow, we just snuggle and 'chat', and his warmth and soft fur just comfort me! Yes, I am a bit of a nutcase, I guess!

Kasey

This is a good topic. For me, when I am stressed it is like a weight is sitting on my chest. Walking or any exercise helps a lot. In nice weather I really like to garden--nothing like playing in the dirt.

Walking and a glass of wine does it for me. Not sure which one I really benefit from but the combination is awesome...lol! When Dennis was really sick I seemed to be constantly stressed from holding all the pain and worry inside in order to keep his spirits up. When the stress peaked, I would get in the car, roll the windows up and drive around the block a couple of times. During this drive, I would actually scream. I can't tell you how much better I felt afterwards and was able to cope once again.

Lucie would list chocolate, ice cream, getting out of the house, visiting with friends, working with others and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

For me, exercise (workout three days a week), visiting with friends, surfing the internet, crossword puzzles. Don

I pick up my 15 lbs dumbbells and lift them up above my shoulder until I can't take it anymore, rest a minute and do it again until I run out of breath.

When I sit, It sure is a big relief. Then take Aleeve for muscle pain. I'm growing this arm muscle since my husbands diagnosis :lol:

It has been helping with stress a little bit. Haven't touch the lexapro and valium department yet. Probably getting close. I will try to buy a heavier weights, we shall see.

"Sounds of Nature: Thunderstorm" in the CD player, gallons of hot and scented bath water, glass of wine and candles, candles, candles. From there, it's into my comfy jammies, bathrobe and multi-colored fuzzy slippers and into the clean sheets (dried outside is the best).

One of these days, I'm going to try a pedicure and a massage in the same day and turn into a mass of Jell-O in a salon - they'll send me home in a bucket! :wink:

Exercise has always been a good destresser for me, I especially like cutting , toting and stacking firewood and watching my woodstack get bigger. Gardening is another outlet for me. I also walk. Lately, I have been trying to figure out what the heck Baysean Probability is, which has piqued my curiosity and caused me to forget about lc for a while.

Don M

Shop, shop and then some more shopping. Nine times out of ten though after the feeling passes I load my purchases up and return them. They know me well at Walmart. I used to laugh at my grandma when right after my grandfather died she started shopping too, something I had never known her to do as they were very frugal people. At one time she was even banned for 6 months from returning things to Walmart. I think though that was becasue she never kept up with her receipts. Today she is back to being as frugal as ever. My youngest daughter loves it though as she normally benefits from these shopping trips.

Reading also seem to help me get my mind off f whatever it is. Something Ihave never read were those gossip magazines about Hollywood, now I am addicted to them. I buy every one of the 6 weeklies that come out (People, US, Star, In Touch, Life and Style.umm there is one more.....)Rightnow I am also reading the new unauthorized autobiography of Barbra Streisand. Very good, if anyone is a fan.

One other thing I have been doing is going to a indoor tanning salon. I have never done this before as I truly believe it probably isnt the best thing to do, But I love it. I love the tan, it has made me feel sooooo much better about myself, my skin has become so very soft. But i think the main thing I like is, it gives me 20 minutes a day that no one can bother me, Nobody yelling "mom" or "kim", phone not ringing (or I cannot hear it if it does), 20 minutes of peace and quite. It has been the best 30 dollars a month I have ever spent.

All in all though I am as stressed out as ever, so nothing I do truly works.

Kim

WHen Daddy was first diagnosed I chopped wood..lots of it. It helped with my feelings of anger and aggression. I had lots of it. I think hubs and I chopped and stacked about three cords.

Now that we have burned most of that wood it is time to replenish the pile for next winter.

I am another fan of weight lifting. I go tot he gym about 2-4 times a week. Dad was a big weight training fan. It makes me feel close to him whenever I work out. Last week I was so sore I could bearly walk.

I have some valiums....but I haven't gotten bad off enough to take them. I think of them as the "emergency " stash.

Much love and healing to all,

Eppie