Getting to know you - April 11

Ann

I really wasn't a 'toy' person. I loved to play outside games like Red Rover and Giant Steps, and, of course, jump rope. I loved jacks. But I think the most fun was collecting trading cards (not sports cards). Anybody remember those????

I don't have any of them now.

I was also a very "outdoors" type of gal. I was raised an only child so I spent a lot of time with my cousins that lived down the hill. There were thirteen children in the family. There were four girls and the rest were boys. Two of the girls were older than I was, so I learned to play a lot of baseball. My mom tried really hard to get me interested in dolls. She was a great seamstress and made great doll clothes for me but....I would always put the doll clothes on my cats. Those poor cats!!! There was one black and white cat...Baby Doll...that would let me completely dress her and then push her around in my doll stroller...lol! I don't have any of my dolls today but I do have a couple of my mom's dolls.

I too grew up outdoors but my favorite indoor toy was a wooden jigsaw puzzle that I put together so many times that I could do it face down......amazing huh?

I do however have a doll of mine that my sister found in her attic. This doll has been through the mill a thousand times and most of the finish is off the face and parts of the body. It's only a small doll, about 8 ins and very sturdy.

You see, below the bedroom window that I shared with my sister was a bay window with a little roof. Below that was a concrete patio and I used to see how far the doll would go across the patio if I tossed it out of the window against the roof below.

I guess my exercise for the day would be running up and down the stairs to get this (and my sister's doll) from the garden.

You may have realised by now that dolls were not my thing back then and my worst nightmares came true when my daughter learned to get the clothes off a Barbie but would not be able to put them back on!

Aaah, memories.

Geri

Isn't it strange that none of us seem to have saved toys from our childhood? Hey...as old as I am things from my childhood would be worth a fortune right now.

My boys have all saved some of their favorite toys. One still has all of his G.I. Joe figures and his comic book collection. The other one has tons of Matchbook cars and Star Trek things and the other has all of his HE-MAN figures and baseball cards.

I think I probably encouraged them to save their things, as I was foolish and didn't see any value in saving things from my childhood.

I used to call them "charms". They were little plastic figures from gumball-type machines. For instance, I remember my little yellow plastic dog. Eventually, I had enough of them and made a class and of course, I was the teacher. Today I'm a REAL teacher. In retrospect, my "charms" were a lot better behaved.

gail p-m

Growing up we did not have toy's only what we could make out of scrap wood or tree branches as we were poor just like every one else we new. But let some kid get a real toy and we all wanted to be his best friend and protector untill either his toy got broken or stolen.....

Still have my erector set Lincoln Logs and Hotwheels w/track. My Lionel train goes up around my tree every christmas.