*UPDATE 8/28- Daddy is in the hospital

KatieB

My dad was admitted into the hospital today... Mom couldn't move him and he had become shakey and limp and all of it scared her very much.

The ER/DR said he was extremely dehydrated (he drinks like a fish) and that his body was extremely malnourished (even when his appetite dissappeared his food consumption would equal a decent sized meal). But the ER doctor said dad was literally starving to death. His levels are all off and we were basically told that if he hadn't come in today, he would have only had a day or two left to live. So weird -->

I couldn't take off earlier today, so Rick took mom and Dad to the ER> My dad has an intense fear of the hospital. Always said-> once you check in- you don't check out-> More of that "old school" thinking.

Anyway, in the past, I have always promised him that he would NOT spend the night, (Little 'ol me - protecting my dad :wink: ) and that all he needed was fluids, and the Dr. those past 3 times agreed...but not today. They wanted to keep him....dad fought to go home and mom wanted to take him home.... That's when my big giant "spongebob" of a husband looked straight at my dad and said...."Jessee, if you go home, you will die" And he stood his ground like a big bouncer in a nightclub guarding the doors. 8) He explained in plain english what the doctor had said and that dad had a choice ---> to stay and get "recharged" or go home and die. Dad chose to live and fight.

They are giving Dad a ton of IV's and nutrients...perhaps a feeding tube in the next day. New Onc. said that dad needed these nutrients to build back his strength....He told dad the cancer wasn't what was killing him, it was the treatments. Catch 22 all around, isn't it?

(He told dad his lungs looked as though they had never had cancer!) :shock:

Then New Onc. examined dad's legs....I told the Onc. how tired and weak Dad had become and that his legs felt like Jello. The Onc. looked perplexed...didn't have a clue why this would happen to such extremes in just a couple of weeks, looked ME straight in my eyes and told me he was going to order an MRI of daddys spine. :cry::cry:

Don't know what the future holds, it's not over, not as bad as it could have been, but no where near good at all. We are in that gray, hazy, middle space between hope and despair.

Had my first REAL breakdown this year. (most of them happened last year) Just snapped (huge understatment) at my co-workers for no reason, cried in the elevator and cried the entire drive to the hospital after work.

I'm exhausted. Thanks for letting me vent.

Dearest Katie, Beloved Daughter of Jessee,

Sweetie, I would NO WAY characterize your post as venting; rather, I'd call it grieving. We appreciate your taking precious time and energy right now to let us know the latest. Hang in there...all of you. It sounds as if you have a direction and plan, and I'll be praying for improvement and God's Grace.

Katie,

I also do not feel that you are venting and I'm very glad that you let us all know about your Dad. My heart goes out to you and your family and I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I will say a extra special prayer tonight at your Dad that he will feel better in the morning. Please keep us updated and remember we are here for you just like you are always here for us.

Lots of Hugs,

Susan M.

Vent as much as you want .. we all owe you one (or two, or ten!)

I am glad you have a strong hubby to help you out with this. They are sometimes worth having around, eh :wink:

Dad is a fighter, he has proved that this week especially. Here's my best wishes for him to get over this hump!

Gina D.

Dear Katie

I am sorry that your dad had to go in to the hospital but I am glad he is there, I had a feeling that is what he needed by the symptoms that you were telling us about. I am sure he will get built up again in there and get back on his feet. That is wonderful news that his lungs are clear, I think that is half the battle. No one likes the hospital, I hate them, but I think that is the only place right now where he can gain his strength. I will be praying extra hard for Jesse and for you too! You hang in there girl, you are such a wonderful daughter.

Love

Bess B

Katie,

Please don't worry about the breakdown at work. Good folks will understand, and those who don't understand can just deal with it.

I'm glad Rick was there to help your parents understand the seriousness of his immediate condition. And thank goodness for the doc who wanted to treat your Dad instead of sending him back home with nothing...

Prayers are coming your way...I know that the news isn't as good as you would have liked, but your Dad is still fighting, and his Docs are offering him a few new weapons to use.

Much affection,

Fay

Thanks Katie for keeping us posted on how your Dad is doing , and how the Doctors are planning to evaluate the situation, and help him recoup his nourishment and strength. It is so hard to see our loved ones going through this . I pray that your Dad excepts this help and does well and is able to go home soon. Donna

Guest Karen C

Katie - I think your Dad is so lucky to have you and not only you, but Rick, he sounds like the world's best son-in-law.

Hang in there - it does sound weird that he's eating and drinking and still malnourished and dehydrated but go with the flow and get him fixed up, he'll be good to go for a while longer I bet.

God Bless,

Karen C. - wife of David C.

Dearest Katie-

I surely will keep your dad in my prayers today. At least the report on his lungs being clear was wonderful news! I think you have the spirit of a trooper and you and Rick are amazing! I can't thank you enough for your prayers today on my behalf - I will surely be keeping your darling Dad in mine!

Terrie

Hi Katie.

Sounds like the hospital, with a new oncologist is just the place to be for your dad right now. Jessee HAS what it takes to make it through this latest

rough water --- he knows how much everyone loves and cares for him; he is a very lucky man.

I'm off to my race tomorrow morning. I was planning to put a sticker on my handlebars that said "GEAR UP", to remind me to change to a higher, harder gear once I reach the top of a hill. (most people stay in a lower, easier gear to allow themselves time to recover). Let your dad know that his name will also be on my handlebars on a small white sticker; he has the kind of fighting spirit I need this weekend. Please thank him for me for being MY inspiration. Take care.

David P.

Dearest Katie,

A big cybersisterly hug coming your way right now!! Okay, lets focus on the good, he's getting recharged with fluid and nutrition because those treatments are taking everything he has and more. Thats great his lungs look so good, right!

Dear Jesus,

Please lay your Healing Hand on our friend Jessee. Fill him with good things and send him home to the family that loves him so much.

Amen.

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Katie,

Like everyone else here, I wouldn't worry about your 'outburst' in front of your co-workers. Something similar happened with me in front of my post retirement-age neighbors, I was SO embarrassed I wrote them a note explaining what I'm dealing with - they absolutely understood and didn't hold it against me.

I'm thinking of you & your Dad :) Lean on your strong husband when you feel weak, he seems like one in a million!

Take care

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the update on your daddy...he sounds like such a fighter and I am glad to hear he was willing to accept his stay in the hospital for his own good. Good thing Rick was there to set him straight!!

I know your whole family must be so wonderful...I can see that through you and how you are such a loving person. Not only are you there emotionally for your own family but you are also here for "ours".

I want to thank you so much for always being there for us all and anytime you feel you need to "vent" you just go on ahead and "vent" away!!

Sending my thoughts and good vibes your way for your dad, you, rick and the rest of your family...god bless.

Tracy

Katie

Thanks for letting us know about your Dad so we can send extra prayers his way. Your Dad has an amazing fighting spirit, he has the wonderful team of you, your Mom and Rick behind him --- he is very lucky in many ways. Hoping he gets recharged quickly ---- and don't worry about your co-workers. Everyone has done that one time or another and I'm sure they can appreciate the stress your under.

Please keep us posted and the prayers will keep coming.

Gail P-M

Katie,

Does your dad have a pet dog? Has he been passing food to him under the table like we did as kids?

I think you should focus on and celebrate clear lungs! Sounds like the hospital just wants to give him a tune-up!

Put your energy back on the positive (I know you are!)

JudyB

Getting recharged is probably just what your Dad needs. Chemo & radiation on their own are bad enough let alone together, they can probably really run you down. I'm sure after your Dad is recharged he'll get back up, brush off his knees & jump back in the fight with both feet again...I know you all will, this is just a little set back. Hang in there kiddo!!

Chris

Tonight the Onc. said that dad was getting hydrated. They are trying to get his meds in order (They didn't give him ANY for 24 hrs...because they are idiots...and dad basically went into withdrawls, shakey & cold sweats and restless.)

On a better note, I don't think there will be a feeding tube now...unless things change yet again.

But the Onc. still seems perplexed as to why my dad is so weak and his legs are like jello with no strength.....he mentioned the MRI of the spine and that it came back and it looked GOOD. Then he ordered a bone scan for 8pm tonight just to be safe...no news on that yet. They also did nurological testing and that came back normal too.

THen he mentioned a condition where the cancer infiltrates the blood.. :?: .this can cause extreme weekness, loss of strength and muscle control...etc.... THey will be testing for it tomorrow. (Any medical folks out there know what I'm talking about> What is this and what can this mean if he has this??)

Onc. told me tonight that they are keeping dad indefinitely :cry: ....he isn't getting better, and until he does feel better...he isn't leaving.

Again, not awful news...but NO WHERE remotely near good either. Still stuck in that gray area of dispair and hoplessness.

Told Dad about all of your posts, and David putting Dad's name on his bike....then after I had my FIT with the nurses about Dad not getting meds for 24hrs (Picture a 30yr. old having a tantrum like a five year old would :roll: ) he got the right meds and an order written in stone that he get them every 4 and every 6 hrs.

....I looked at Dad and said...."Daddy, what would you do if my mouth wasn't SO BIG?" He cracked his first smile in two days and answered with a little chuckle, "I don't know baby"

I HATE THIS SO MUCH....but Dad is still here, we still have love and life. and on the good days, hope.

Dear Katie

So happy to hear they are giving your dad the complete once over. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of what is making him so weak and then can proceed to build him up again. I know he hates the hospital but I think it's the place for him right now, he needs to get his strength back to keep on fighting this horrible monster disease. Glad to hear that you are keeping the nurses in line! They all need that every once in a while. I don't think they will stop giving him his medication again. Hang in there Katie and tell Jesse we are all pulling for him and he is in our prayers and thoughts.

Bess B